Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Revlon Colorstay Foundation

revlon colorstay foundation
This is one of those foundations that I've been trying on and off throughout the years. I know lots of girls love this and it gets hyped up soo much. But for me it just doesn't feel right and I choose other foundations over this one all the time. I have a lot of foundations, if you haven't noticed, I wear 3-4 different ones each week, I like variety, and different foundations serve different purposes to me, depending on what kind of coverage I want, my skin changing colour, if I need SPF or not and so on.

revlon colorstay ivory and buff
I have this foundation in two colours, Ivory and Buff, and that begins my first problem with this foundation, the colour match. Ivory to me is too pinky, ashy and white looking, while Buff is too "dirty" looking if that makes sense, it's yellow toned, but a dirty kind of yellow, which doesn't look quite right either. I suppose I should be mixing the two together cause I am in-between shades. If I wear the Ivory, I load up on bronzer and if I wear the Buff I feel like I am wearing the wrong colour and add a lighter powder on top. If I could get the right colour match, I think I would like this foundation much more.

revlon colorstay buff and ivory
The foundation smells really awful, eww when you open it the smell of paint overwhelms you, you can smell it right away and before it dries on your skin. It definitely makes you wonder what the heck is in this stuff that it smells so sickening. The smell bothers me, but I can get past it. Also there is no pump (as shown in pic above), which I loathe, but whatever, most drugstore foundations do not have pumps so I can get past that too.

This foundation dries fast, and does not blend well. I apply it either by using a flat top brush, or a dampened sponge (for lighter coverage). I do one side of my face at a time, and blend quickly.

revlon colorstay
Coverage and lasting power is the major positive of this foundation, it provides medium to full coverage. It gives a matte, flat finish. Just be careful, cause it can look cakey and mask-like if you apply too much. It lasts all day, and you do not need to touch up. It also comes in different skin types, you can get it in normal/dry, and oily/combination. I find the normal/dry works better for me, the formulation seems more watery. As you can tell in the pic above, the back of the bottle indicates that the combination/oily one controls oil, while the normal/dry one is moisture-balanced. It has an SPF too which is nice, normal/dry comes with SPF15, while the combo/oily only has SPF6, for whatever reason.

However, because it's so thick in coverage, I feel like it will do something terrible to my skin and I am always paranoid that I will wake up with cystic acne the next day. Most of all, this is NOT a foundation that I would wear often because it's so thick and it's hard to take off, you gotta really make sure you wash your face well and having dry skin, this irritates my skin. I can feel remnants of this foundation on my skin after I wash it. So this, for me, this is just a 'once in a while' foundation.

Do you like Revlon's Colorstay foundation?

13 comments:

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I have dry skin too and even the formula for dry skin is a bit drying for me. I don't wear this too much because I just don't like how it looks on my skin. Too bad, it lasts better than the ones that I love the look of upon application.

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE this foundation! It's my HG (:
I use buff and I find it's perfect for my yellow toned skin.. I think I need a darker one since its summer though
gives me lovely full coverage which I don't need but just in case... (:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been looking into this foundation as I am on the hunt for a new one, but I'm so aware of things sitting on my skin, so maybe it's not for me!
Thanks, a really useful review :D

Milz said... Best Blogger Tips

I have heard so much about this foundation I was thinking of getting one but may be it will not work for me I really don't like foundations which don't blend well
and I bought loreal visible lift yesterday I tried it and it blends well and gives good coverage I will use it for a few more days to see the final result but it seems like a good one

Dee said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it, but I agree with you about the colours. I've had a few different ones and they're always too light, too dark, too yellow or too pink. At the moment I have Sand Beige (or Beige Sand?), which is slightly too light. I mix it with a bit of Chanel Mat Lumiere in Cendre to get the right colour.

In fact, I mix my foundations a lot - I can never seem to just lock in to the right shade right out of the bottle.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

i saw many good review bout this fondation, hehe really want try it next time =)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I like this foundation, but I agree it's more for once in a while unless I'm having a bad skin week.. very thick coverage :) xxx

Kristie said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't stand the smell of this foundation so I stayed away from it. Heard the coverage is great for some.

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

This is my HG foundation! I have the normal/dry skin version and it keeps me from getting oily!!!! I only apply a thin layer and I wet my brush before applying it, it makes the foundation less thick and it also helps with blending! :) I've done a review on it as well if you don't mind me posting about it here! :)


drugstoreandbargainlover Revlon Colorstay Foundation Review

thestartsteam said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the coverage that this foundation offers but it broke me out! I think because it is really thick that it really clogged my pores..so no more Colorstay for me! Thanks for a great review

p.s.
I'm loving your blog, btw!

Marian Marrero said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, I'm not a makeup guru just someone who likes to wear makeup for pics and events or outings. And today I'd like to help solve the main concern in regards to the colorstay foundation. It does not have a pump!
So this is what I came up with. if u have questions please comment below.
God bless you and have a victorious Day!!!

First Steps
*Clean out really well a finished Olay Total effects creme jar (My Loyal moisturizer by the way) olay.com
*Let it air dry
*Pour in your Revlon Colorstay foundation
*Seal the pump and Voila!
you have a new airless pump container for your foundation without the mess or waste...
Hope this was helpful!!!

short clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHp4O76XxIQ

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I wear this on a daily basis! Just finished with one bottle and am going to move on to the next bottle, I'm just afraid to try other foundations because they never have as great of coverage or last as long with no transfer to clothes. This is a God of foundations. ;D

Giselle said... Best Blogger Tips

I love reading your foundation reviews because I think you and I have the EXACT same skin issues. I also have Colorstay in ivory and buff and i'm right in between too. I agree that its difficult to blend and the smell is strong, but it does last for hours. Unfortunately, I always breakout the day after I wear it, so I only use it for special occasions.