Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: Clinique Even Better Foundation

Today's review is going to be the opposite of yesterday, let's see if you can tell why. Clinique's foundations are tricky for me, I never seem to get the right colour match the first time. But what I love about Clinique is their frequent gift with purchase offers, I only buy from them when they have these, but I would if they didn't, cause their products are that good. Clinique's Even Better foundation is the second I've ever used, the first was their Redness Solutions foundation. I must say, I prefer this one much more.

This foundation is described on Clinique's website as "Wear oil-free, dermatologist-developed Even Better Makeup SPF 15 and something amazing happens: Without any makeup, see improved clarity, a more even skin tone, visibly diminished age spots. For all ethnicities. In just 4 to 6 weeks." This foundation is recommended for those with the skin types 2- combination dry and 3-oily. It's a liquid foundation with moderate-full coverage.  It's benefits are "De-aging, Covers or treats uneven skin tone, Long wearing, Natural skin-perfecting look, Mineral enriched." More than anything I was interested in this foundation because it is recommended for those with dry skin and I was curious about the coverage, it did not disappoint. I can't comment on whether it's reduced dark spots, but I don't really have any.

Clinique foundations are high-end, but they are affordable too, which is great. This foundation retails for $24.50US/$30.00CAD, which is pretty standard for their foundations. It comes in a squeeze tube, which is both hygienic and effective, I even prefer this to pump packaging since pumps can become defective. The consistency is a runny liquid that goes on smooth and blends very nicely.

I have this foundation in the colour "Alabaster" it's their lightest colour. Every time I go to the Clinique counter at various department stores they never have all the shades in stock during promotions, which is a huge hassle. I was matched to "Fair" at first, the girl put it on me, she said it looked great, and it did, but I went home and it was very orange, and why do they cake foundation on so much when they apply it on you? It looked hideous. So back it went and I got "Alabaster". The girl (this was another counter) asked me if they tried Fair on me, I said yes! She said that Fair is more pink-toned, whereas Alabaster is more neutral (which is better for me, conceals redness better). As you tell from the image above, the Redness Solutions in Calming Alabaster is slightly more warm/yellow toned than the Even Better.

The finish is natural, which is a bit dewey/glowy, it leaves your skin looking like skin, as long as you don't apply a ton. The coverage is medium, but can be layered, personally I don't layer foundation on my dry skin, it's just too much. This foundation does not agitate my dry skin at all, which is something that I look for. I am not sure how it would perform on oilier skin types, it might not last long and maybe too glowy. It feels comfortable, while providing great coverage. No complaints about this at all, it's a great foundation,and even better than many much higher-end foundation that I've used.


Have you tried Clinique Even Better?

12 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, I own this foundation. It's one of the best I've used!! I also only shop during their gift w/purchase promotions :)

Miss ♥ Nikka said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the price tag on this foundation. Gift with purchase is always a bonus! That's why i love clinique. :)

I got a sample of this awhile back, I tried it once and forgot how it was. I should try it again. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Great quick review!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you have a review of the clinique redness control one? I am thinking of getting it but wasn't sure if it worked or not...

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Mary Elizabeth - I mention it in faves here and there, but haven't done a complete review yet, will do one soon.

Risa said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds like a really good foundation! I think I will look into it once I'm done with P10Pan! Thanks for sharing..love reading all ur product reviews..

xx

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

ooooh! This foundation sounds nice! Thanks for the shade descriptions...sounds as if the Alabaster shade would be ideal for me. I haven't hit the Clinique counter in awhile, but next time one of those GWPs roll around...I might have to pick this one up! :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I find it hard to get the right match with clinique foundations too. it always looks amazing when the clinique reps try it on me, but when i get home it just doesn't look the same. I haven't tried even better yet though.

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

I use Clinique's Almost Makeup and really like it but it's a lighter coverage foundation. This sounds like one I will have to try, for those days when I want a bit more coverage. Thanks for the review :)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

Justine, you are making me want to buy foundations! This one sounds good.

Emily Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

I've bought this twice in my life. It really did even out my skin. I used to swear by this, but ventured into other things. It's like a medium/full coverage tinted moisturizer in my opinion. I would like to repurchase. I miss buying this. =-) It was a must have. I was cream chamois. Not sure what #.

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review! I have added this one to "the list" I have a little notebook I keep in my purse of things I know for sure I want... yes, dork, but I like to be prepared!

Allison L said... Best Blogger Tips

Clinique has been my favorite liquid foundation for the last 3 years. I use Perfectly Real currently.

I'm not sure if the Candian counters do this but some Clinique counters in the US they will allow you set aside product a week or two before the gift with purchase. Then you can pick it all up on the day the gift with purchase is released. Helps make sure what you want isn't sold out.