Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review: L'oreal Bare Naturale Mineral Foundation

loreal bare naturale foundation
Years back, I used to primarily use mineral foundations, and this was the first drugstore mineral makeup product that I purchased. I got this ages ago, my product actually expired 2/2010, but I think that's only the SPF that it's the product, correct me if I am mistaken. I started using it again recently so that I could write this review. This is L'oreal's take on mineral makeup, they describe this foundation as "Bare Naturale re-invents makeup with carefully selected, 100% preservative- and fragrance-free minerals plus built-in professional brushes. The new skin-improving mineral formula with an SPF 19 covers flawlessly and leaves your skin soft and the tone even.". L'oreal has a complete line in this mineral type, including concealer, blush, eyeshadow, highlighter (mineral glow) and finishing powder, all these products come with their own built-in brush.

loreal bare naturale foundation makeup
l'oreal bare naturale foundation
The way you use this is, take the plastic cap off the top, then tip the whole product upside down and shake it, this allows some of the minerals to get trapped into the reservoir/shifter area and then you unscrew the brush off the top (or use your own brush) and dip/swirl it into the foundation. Tap off any excess minerals that you do not need, either onto something else or on the side of the reservoir. Then apply the product that's on the brush in circular motions on your face. I know some people tap the entire thing whilst having the brush in the shifter, but I find you lose some of the product that way, as it can fly everywhere. However, it can be a pain to have to keep putting the top on, and shaking it and repeating that process as you need more product.

I like the idea that they added a brush with this product, however the brush is totally garbage, it's scratchy, stiff and bothers and irritates my skin. When wearing this, my skin felt itchy throughout the day from using the brush, it might just be psychological, but I would not recommend using the brush that comes with this. Despite it being a good sized kabuki type brush it is very cheaply made and you'd be better off using your own brush. Also, the minerals just sit on top of the brush, with good brushes, the product tends to move down into the brush allowing you to blend better, with this brush, it does not.

loreal bare naturale makeup
I have this in the colour, "Light Ivory" #458, I know in the UK they named this product True Match minerals and the shades compliment the rest of the True Match line, but in North America, the shades are totally different. I think the colour that I have is a tad too dark for me, and makes me look a touch tan. However, I have the lightest shade available, this foundation only comes in 7 shades, which is a shame. Apparently, there is a Soft Ivory shade, according to people on youtube, but I did not see that shade listed on the L'oreal Canada website.

loreal bare naturale foundation ingredient listing
The coverage is decent, for my dry skin I find the foundation settles into fine lines and exacerbates my dry areas, then I have to work extra hard to blend this in. But you can get full coverage with this product, which I like. It covers redness well. I think this foundation, for those with dry skin, would be better suited for the summer months when your skin has more oil and moisture to it, I think it would be too drying for winter. I have to remember to moisturize very well when using this or else it just looks really, really powdery on my face. However, for oily to combination skin I think this product could work really great at controlling oil and shine. The foundation seems to stay in place well throughout the day too. I know many people are allergic to some of the ingredients found in mineral makeup, so I have included a picture of the ingredients list above, this does contain bismuth oxycloride.

So despite it having an absolute garbage brush attached to it, I think the product itself is good, if you have very dry skin, I would recommend not getting this, my skin is dry and I find this hard to work with for myself.

EDIT: I think this foundation broke me out baaaaad, I got some nasty cystic acne going on along my chin :(

Have you tried this product? Do you use mineral makeup?

18 comments:

Milz said... Best Blogger Tips

Justine do you use liquid foundations in summer? I read somewhere to use only compact powder in summer is this right, or can I use liquid foundation and then set it with any pressed powder.
Secondly can you recommend any good eye shadow palette whose colors are well pigmented and not chalky.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@alvira - I prefer liquid foundation because I have dry skin so powders do not work well for me most of the time, just feel too drying and tight on my skin. Whatever works for you, you can use a tinted moisturizer if you want lighter coverage in the summer, or just use a light coverage foundation. Less is more.

Eye shadow palettes, do you want colourful or neutral shades? I like the urban decay palettes a lot, you can get a lot of different looks with them, not chalky, they are very pigmented, but can be too shimmery at times. I have the ammo palette and sustainable palette from Urban Decay and they are both really nice. MAC shadows you can't do wrong with either, just get whatever colours compliment your skintone best, they are great quality.

Milz said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, actually I have dry skin and I read in your previous posts that you also have dry skin that's why I asked you to guide me I have just started wearing make up so I am still learning . I like neutal eyeshades and the one I bought were so chalky so I will try these palettes .MAC is not easily available here so it's not an option for me.

Stephanie C. said... Best Blogger Tips

I was wanting to try this, only because I love how easy/fast mineral powder foundations are to apply. But my skin tends to lean more on the dry side during the summer, so I think I'll stay away. Thanks for the review!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@alvira - for drugstore, the cover girl shimmering sands quad is really nice and silky texture, it comes with 3 neutral shades.

alicesmother said... Best Blogger Tips

I ordered some free samples to Signature minerals and free spirit. I love the shadows and the concealer, but as you say, the make up is not for dry skins, as mine is... kisses

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

I have oily skin, so this will propably work for me!! Thanks Justine!! My wallet hates you lol , but my face doesn't! :)

drugstoreandbargainlover

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Stavroula - just don't use the garbage brush cause it will make your face itch the entire day! ;)

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

@Justine I don't use the brushes that come with products anyway! ;) Thanks! ;)

drugstoreandbargainlover

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't use mineral foundations b/c my skin is so dry! I heard that Laura Mercier's mineral foundation is okay for dry skin, but at that price it's not worth it, plus I'm so messy with loose powders!

Milz said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for guiding me

nicoletta said... Best Blogger Tips

I have this and use the ELF flat top brush with it. My skin is combination and it suits me perfectly its one of my favourites x

beachbumbeauty13 said... Best Blogger Tips

I've tried the blush and it's amazing! Really pigmented, and worth a try.

Kristie said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh no...bismuth oxycloride is my number one enemy!

~Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

You've been reviewing a lot of L'Oreal lately! LOL

I haven't tried this yet but I'm really interested in it ....it's been a while and I still haven't gotten to get it. I just want to use up what I have now so nothing expires before they're finished.

And I agree, the brushes are usually garbage and a waste of space on my vanity!

http://xmaterialgirlsx.blogspot.com/

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I use mineral powders and Ive tried this.

I can say this much, this product went right into my trash. It snuck into crevices and caused me to break out. Never again!

Yuki said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm sorry you didn't like this :< I absolutely love it and find the brush okay too. But I have oily skin, so it probably works better for me.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG. i broke out so badly. got cystic acne all over my face. the ones that hurt! i got new makeup-bobbi brown tinted moisturizer and loreal bare naturale pressed powder. any idea who's the culprit?