Monday, July 19, 2010

Initial Review: Sigma Makeup F80 vs. Everyday Minerals Flat Top Brush

sigma makeup brushes f80 and ss150
I just received these brushes in the mail today, so this is an initial review only. I haven't washed them or used them, just commenting on their design and appearance. I get excited when I get packages in the mail and was anticipating these for a while. Sigma makeup was a brand that I was very skeptical about, judging by all the youtube videos (that seem staged a lot of the time) these are supposed to be AMAZING right? Well, I am pessimistic by nature and need proof to really know for sure. My MAC brush collection is small, so I wasn't expecting dupes here, just good brushes and I think I got that. The shipping to Canada is $7 a brush, $14 for a kit, but I paid $14 shipping for two brushes, which sucks and I will definitely wait until I want a lot of them before I order again. It took two weeks to receive these. The brushes that I got were the SS150 (now the F30)  and the F80, formerly known as the SS197. I think they are in the process of changing their brush names, so that they aren't MAC-equivalents but their own, which I think is a very good move.

sigma makeup brush vs everyday minerals flat top
The F80 was the one I was most excited about because I love my Everyday Minerals flat top brush and wanted something like that one, as I use flat top brushes for applying foundation more than any other brush. As you can tell the EDM one is shorter obviously, more compact.

sigma makeup f80 vs everyday minerals flat top
 The bristles are slightly longer on the EDM.

sigma makeup f80 vs edm flat top
In terms of fullness, I would say the bristles on the F80 are finer and there are more of them. The brush head is pretty much identical. Keep in mind, I have just washed my EDM brush and it has been widely used for years so it looks kind of rough here. When you push down on the F80 I feel like it has less "give" than the EDM, so a bit firmer, but that is probably only because the bristles are shorter slightly, so there is less bounce to it.

I think the F80 is great, based on first impressions. If you don't have the EDM one, I would suggest getting this one for sure. It did not smell funky or anything when I got it, and it's very soft. It met my expectations for sure. My EDM has never shed and I have been able to pull out some of the hairs off the F80 already, and that was before washing it or using it... so maybe a sign of things to come.

Do you have this brush? What do you think of it?

9 comments:

Stephanie C. said... Best Blogger Tips

I want a flat top kabuki brush like this really badly. I'll really have to look into the Sigma F80. Is it similar in price to MAC brushes? I'd love to find something cheaper than MAC if possible!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

MAC's 130 is...$45 CAD..
The Sigma SS197/F80 is $16 + shipping.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I own the Sigma brush kit and the SS109 but not the F80. Hopefully I'll get it soon. I really like these brush, they are super soft and super good. I'm not sure how they are compared to MAC cause I don't own any.

I hope you do more reviews on the F80. Would really like to know what you think of them ;)

http://nurisrandom.blogspot.com/

xXx

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't wait to see what you think of these brushes!

Annie said... Best Blogger Tips

how does this compare to the elf studio powder brush (flat top)? I've been using it for my foundation and powder, but may upgrade if there are better options!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Annie - the ecotools bronzer brush? it's a kabuki brush so it's different than a flat top, I can review that one if you like, I love that brush.

thestartsteam said... Best Blogger Tips

This one looks really nice. I have a similar one by BDellium Tools (the brushes with the yellow handles) and I agree, these type of brushes are really nice for foundation. Thanks for sharing : )

Andra said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Justine! What brush (between Sigma F80 and EDM flat top) do you think works better to apply liquid foundation?

I am thinking to get the EDM one because it has shorter handle. The bristles seem pretty much the same on both brushes.

Nevertheless, I am worried that the EDM bristles bounce too much for the application of a liquid foundation.

What do you think?


Thanks!
Very helpful review!;)


ps: I'm not an English speaker. Please excuse any mistake.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Ada - I think they both work the same way, the EDM brush has slightly longer bristles, but they feel the same. I think one would be great for liquid foundation.