Thursday, December 16, 2010

Review: L'oreal Visible Lift With Serum Foundation

I picked up this new L'oreal foundation recently during a 50% off face products sale at Pharma Plus. L'oreal products are if not the most expensive, definitely one of the most expensive drugstore brands. This foundation retails in Canada for about $18 I believe, which is so expensive. This foundation is a step up from the original Visible Lift formulation but with added serum. My bottle says "Visible Lift Serum Absolute". The serum in this is advertised  as addressing the "5 signs of aging to visibly transform skin to smoother, firmer, brighter, even, flawless." This is supposed to be "advanced age reversing makeup". I find it funny how the blue part on the bottle are just stickers.

L'oreal claims that this foundation provides "45% more even skin tone, 72% saw more youthful skin, 75% reduction in fine lines and wrinkles, 79% saw fewer imperfections and 90% saw smoother skin." The ingredients Hyaluronic acid, Pro-Retinol A, Pro-Xylane, Pro-Lastyl and Vitamin C. in this foundation include Personally, I don't think foundation can improve your skin, it can make it appear nicer, but I doubt it can improve it. Correct me if I am wrong, but treating your skin is up to your skincare routine. I bought this foundation to try and out and simply see if it's good, I wasn't expecting miracles in my skin, but the stuff in here sounds like it would be good for your skin, perhaps not reversal effects, but maybe prevention.

This foundation comes in 12 colours, I think L'oreal is pretty good in providing a complete selection of shades to suit everyone's skintone, the best that drugstore has to offer in my opinion. I bought this in the shade 144 Light Ivory. It is their second lightest, quite yellow toned shade. If you are looking for swatches of this foundation, I found some nice ones on Makeup Editor's blog. Straight up I love the packaging of this product, it comes in a heavy glass bottle, with a nice pump and a lid that stays securely on, that definitely sold me on this product.


The coverage on this is medium-buildable. The finish is satin, L'oreal describes it as "luminous". I have read that this foundation is good for dry skin, (and on the L'oreal site it is recommended for all skin types) but on me, I did not find this hydrating enough. It also dried very quickly on my skin so I had to work quickly. I did like the finish and coverage of this however. When you first apply it, it comes out like a moussey texture, but then when you rub it in transforms into a liquid foundation, I like that about it. It does stink, the smell to me is stronger than that of most drugstore foundations and I think that will put some people off about it. It's like an old lady chemical smell. And in bright light, you can see the fine sparkles that this foundation has, I noticed I put this on my hand (in picture above) washed my hand and there are remnants of sparkles, they are very fine though and not like Revlon Photoready-esque at all.

Visible Lift with Serum is definitely targeted to mature women, 40 and above, and although I am much younger I do appreciate foundations that feel lightweight, yet cover well and this product definitely does that. I cannot attest to the other claims on this improving your skin.

Have you tried this? Did it improve your skin texture at all?

9 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review Justine! I always love reading your foundations reviews as you and I both have dry skin and I think we might be similar as far as being fair-skinned. :)

Shaylee Anne said... Best Blogger Tips

Hmm sounds pretty good! I quite like L'oreal foundations (the True Match is great!) and this is even better because it has a pump!! Finally! I hate getting the foundation out of my True match so maybe I will have to try this out! :) Thanks for the review!

Risa said... Best Blogger Tips

I've tried loreal foundation before and they did not work well for me. The one I tried was perfect match, while i do like the wide range of colors they have the foundation was heavy and cakey..anyway great review!

xx

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Pammy - ya dry skinned people represent! :)

@Shaylee Anne - This feels a lot thicker than true match. I liked the true match foundation too though.

@Charming Vanity - This is heavier than true match for sure.

AmyRoto said... Best Blogger Tips

I like the packaging -- a pump is always a plus. Maybe I'll try this in a couple of years, when I'm feeling a little bit mature :) :)

luckiebeauty said... Best Blogger Tips

Wonderful review,thank you!

Personally, I don't like this foundation. It's hard to work with it,and you feel it on your skin.

I prefer True Match (liquid) they're more blendable.

: )

Sandy said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't tried the foundation but I did want to comment on your photos. Sometimes the camera doesn't focus well on close objects if your macro setting isn't on. Try seeing if it's on or not. It's usually the little flower icon.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Sandy - thanks I will try that. I had no problems with this camera before, all the pictures on this blog are taken with it (despite it being old and crap, it did take decent pics). Then I moved and started using it again and it's got a mind of it's own.

Sara said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review :) its quite helpful