Friday, August 6, 2010

Review: Rimmel Hide the Blemish Concealer

The Rimmel website describes this products as: "A creamy concealer stick that blends to camouflage any skin imperfection. Gives complexion a smooth even appearance." It also says it comes in 3 shades.. I found it in 4 at my store. I picked this up on a whim, as I am on a concealer kick at the moment and will try pretty much anything. And because I am breaking out recently ARGGHH! It's nice to get something to you know.. hides the blemish! This retails for about $6 I think CAD at Walmart. I got the lightest shade of course, in "Ivory".

rimmel hide the blemish conclear in ivory
In comes in a lipstick type packaging, with a lid on top and packaging that you twist up, what you see there is pretty much the entire tube rolled up, you don't get a lot. I have a Maybelline lipstick concealer like this,with the lipstick thingy, but I hate it, and it totally made me not want to buy concealers like that ever again,but I like this one. Since this is just a concealer though, the size is fine, as you won't be putting this everywhere and you don't need a lot to cover.

That's a swatch on my hand, on the left you see it just applied, and blended out lightly on the right, the colour is a good match for me I think. If you do use this on zit monsters, please apply it with a brush and do not use the product itself over and over on the same area, it can become contaminated and zits are gross, and you don't want them all over your face.

The ingredients are not listed on the package but, I did find a pdf that contains all ingredients listed for Rimmel products, pretty cool if you want to want to check it out.  And the Rimmel Hide the Blemish concealer had these listed, for those knowledgeable of these things, please let me know if there is anything that would heal blemishes:
Ingredients: ISOPROPYL PALMITATE, CETEARYL ETHYLHEXANOATE,
TALC, OZOKERITE, POLYETHYLENE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE,
PARAFFIN, POLYISOBUTENE, CERA MICROCRISTALLINA/
MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX/CIRE MICROCRISTALLINE, SILICA, VP/
EICOSENE COPOLYMER, ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH, LECITHIN,
SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN,
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN,
PROPYLPARABEN [May Contain/Peut Contenir/+/-:
TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), BARIUM SULFATE (CI 77120), IRON
OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA (CI 77019)].

For my dry skin, I would say this glides on really nice and smoothly. On the packaging it claims to be used on blemishes and under-eye as well. I would prefer not to use this on under-eye since I like liquid concealers more for that area, but for blemish concealing it works well. It goes not have any salicylic acid in it, so it will NOT help to heal or control the blemish at all, just conceal it, which is too bad. My Revlon blemish corrector concealer does have salicylic acid (even though it's a small amount) and I prefer that one for blemished areas.

This product is however really nice for on the go, to throw in your purse and that's where mine belongs. It's good for when you first notice a zit and instead of panicking, you can pull this out and dot it in those areas.

11 comments:

Sara said... Best Blogger Tips

thank you so much for reviewing it :) this seems to be a nice product. I've always loved Rimmel for bringing out such lovely products.

Estefany @ The Helmet Head said... Best Blogger Tips

This is cool! So what kind of make up is good for greasy or dry face? I am so confused about mine. Summer times it gets sorta greasy and then for winter super dry. What am I supposed to do? buy different make-up for different seasons?

Also, thank you so much for giving me that award. You're so awesome =). And about the top tabs on my blog, i have a link that tells you how to do it. I guess its the easiest way it can be explained 'cuz its super complicated. I'll send it to you as soon as I find it.

<3

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

The pH of this product is not low enough for the salicylic acid to be able to exfoliate, therefore making it ineffective for treating blemishes. Also, there is corn starch in this, which feeds acne causing bacteria. I wouldn't use this on a blemish. Also, make sure not to use anything with Salicylic acid around the eye.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@PoorCollegeStudent - hey, I knew you'd come through, what's the technical term for corn starch? Last time you told me something had corn starch it took a toll on my skin, that being the l'oreal mineral foundation.. so now I am cautious.

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

yes it does feed the bacteria so I expact that would happen! Its scientific name is Zea Mays.

Crystalnextdoor said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I tried this out a while ago and I didn't like it at all... just didn't give good lasting coverage on marks and eyes but perhaps someone with light marks it would do.

Cláudia Mendonça said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi =)
I give you one Award in my blog
http://fashionchoicesclaus.blogspot.com/2010/08/1-award.html
xoxo**

~Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

What would you suggest for the under-eye then? I have major circles! T_T

http://xmaterialgirlsx.blogspot.com/

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa - For undereye, I think the maybelline superstay is the best at drugstores
http://productrater.blogspot.com/2010/08/review-maybelline-superstay-24h.html

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

this was my very first concealer back in high school. it's complete crap for me...noticed this was the reason why my zits get worse. not only that, it dries it out like BAD BAD BAD lol. totally no for me.

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice review Justine! :)

drugstoreandbargainlover