Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review: ELF Smoky Eye Edition Beauty Book

ELF has a couple of these Beauty Books available online, there are several different ones: smoky, neutral and eye brights. There are also beauty encyclopedias which come with additional items like cream shadows and blushes depending on which one you get. I have the Smoky Eye Edition Beauty Book to show and review for you today. This one has a variety of light and dark shadows, perfect for creating a smoky eye depending on how dramatic or subtle you want it to look. I am also giving one of these away in my 500 Follower Giveaway if you haven't entered yet, definitely check that out.

These beauty books sell for $5 online, which is very affordable and inexpensive. As you tell in the picture above you get 12 eyeshadows, an eyeliner and a double ended sponge applicator (cut off in picture). These come in a book format, you open it up and there are directions on the left, a plastic film layer to separate the shadows from the rest of the package and then what you see above. What appealed to me right away were the 4 bottom shades, they look like the colours that I'd love wearing. The size of the shadows are huge too! so you get a lot there.

Row 1: matte white, sparkley gray, shimmery black and shimmery light gray.

Row 2: white/off green, satin sage green and golden brown

Row 3: yellow champagne, cream, taupey brown and bronzy brown

These shadows are pretty good. I would recommend definitely using a primer with these and patting it onto your lid. I find they are very pigmented, but also very powdery and chunky. When I wore these the first time, I noticed I had shimmers all under my eyes on my cheeks, there is fallout with these. So I would recommend doing your eye makeup first, and then doing the rest of your makeup (foundation etc) if you wear these. However, I do love the bottom two shadows in this book, especially that taupe one, it's just gorgeous. I recently ordered the Neutral Eye Beauty Book, so when I get that one, I will do a review as well. 

Do you have any of the ELF Beauty Books?

8 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

$5 is really not bad for 12 color =)!!

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips

We haven't got them in Spain... :(
I think they are so good with a great prize!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

the pigments does look very nice. thanks for the review! I wish they'll sell elf here. =/ there's quite a few of their products that i want to try.

3ate4 said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the last set of colours!

Isabel said... Best Blogger Tips

I only have the Beauty Encyclopedia. I realised that the colours are quite similar to the small Brightening Eyeshadows (the quads) but just more pigmented. They do have some fallout though. My entire cheek was so sparkly

http://sugarcoatedmuffin.blogspot.com/

Kristie said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't have anything from ELF. The palette looks rather pigmented. Thanks for the swatches and review.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I have all 3! I think they are great for the price.
Stop by my blog, I'm having a great giveaway for my first 50 followers.
xx,Mary
http://www.makeupnonsense.blogspot.com/

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice colors!! Thanks for the swatches Justine! ;)