Monday, September 6, 2010

Mascara Monday: Rimmel Sexy Curves

Mondays on Productrater are now going to be known as "Mascara Monday", I will review a different mascara every week. I have read others bloggers do this and it's a neat idea. I have lots of mascara, so frankly, I can keep this up until like the end of the year, so hopefully you will enjoy this. I generally do not apply mascara to my bottom lashes just to fore worn you. I look for volume in my mascara since my lashes are long enough, but not full enough, in my opinion.

Today's mascara is the Rimmel Sexy Curves. I listed this in last month's favourites cause it's a pretty good mascara. It comes in a pretty shiny purple tube, which probably attracts most people. It comes in normal and waterproof, I generally buy waterproof mascara but I read that that one sucks, so I got this one instead. It retails at drugstores for about $7-8, just like any standard mascara. Rimmel's website describes this mascara as "Fuller figured brush – fuller figured lashes. Curves in all the right places! The first Triple Plump brush with 3x the curves for 70% curlier lashes. Voluptuous brush with CurveControl technology wiggles easily through your lashes quickly coating them. Exclusive brush design curves IN to maximize lash loading, curves OUT to curl and de-clump each lash for a complete curved look."

This mascara has the most unique wand ever. It's rubber, purple and has three bumps (what Rimmel describes as the "triple plump") on it with spikes. I think at first this is really hard to work with because the wand does not reach all your lashes at once because of the bumps on it. I have this in extreme black. I don't know if mine is drying up or what, but notice how the liquid does not cover the wand entirely? The wand is rubbery and does bend easily, which I like. The formula is very wet too.

bare eye

with Rimmel Sexy Curves

I think this definitely gives length, volume a bit too. I do find this crunchy though and difficult to layer because it dries so fast. I like being able to put a few coats on to build it up and with this I can't really do that. I do like the bumps on it though for getting into the corners of your eyes by your nose, I have a hard time doing that with other mascaras.

bare eye

with Rimmel Sexy Curves

The best part of this mascara is how it holds the curl, it keeps them as they are when you first apply the mascara, sticking straight up! So it does live up to the claim to give "curve". But as you can tell, I get little balls (clumps) through my lashes and even underneath my eye in the top picture, so there is flaking with this on me. It does not separate all that great either (with repeated coats) my lashes are sticking together.

So this mascara is pretty good in my opinion if you are looking for a curling mascara, I know curling mascaras do not generally give much volume, and that was my problem with this one. It even says it gives volume on the package, not really though.

What did you think of Rimmel's Sexy Curves?

10 comments:

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

I like how clean and defined your lashes look.

Btw, love the idea! Mascara Monday?? That's going to be awesome! I love mascara but most don't seem to work for me because of my tiny lashes. =O Right now, I'm using Prestige's My Biggest Lashes.

donnarence said... Best Blogger Tips

very nice.. i have been wondering about this mascara if this is really good.. your pictures prove it.

Stacey said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely post hun, I'm never sure about mascaras with the plastic wand/brush. I like the fuller brushes like Max Factor False Lash Effect, but this looks pretty impressive! x x

http://thehqofbeauty.blogspot.com

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks! I was deciding between this and L'oreal Voluminous.. I think I might get the latter because it comes with their Lash Serum.
What's your opinion? I like length (:

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@AMY,BABY - I love the l'oreal lash serum, what do you mean it comes with it? as in a free product attached to it?

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

Justine; I have a coupon which makes it really cheap when I buy a L'oreal mascara. (: I'm not sure if the Serum will work on me but here's hoping!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@AMYBABY - which coupon..websaver? or a l'oreal coupon? just wondering, I am a couponer as well. I have another site too
canadiandailydeals.com

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

I think it was either save.ca or brandsaver.. I think I lost it actually LOL can't find it
And I see you on MV and SC (: I only lurk haha. you're everywhere!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@AMY BABY - My days on SC are over, I got banned recently! that place does not like their members to speak their mind. MV is alright.. mostly people in BC though, so I don't really fit in as much.

Emmie Wong said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that ): I hope it was just a misunderstanding between SC
You've still got blogger tho (: