Saturday, September 11, 2010

Review: L'oreal Color Juice Lipgloss

I picked up some of the L'oreal Color Juice lipglosses to try out recently, I'd been meaning to get these for a while, but they are pretty expensive for a drugstore lip product. These sell for about $10 CAD. My drugstore had all lip products for 50% off, that's when I picked these up. These feel quite high-quality on on lips. They come in lots of pretty colours, are milky and moisturizing. They've been compared to the Lancome Juicy Tubes glosses, but at a fraction of the cost.I like these, but have some issues with their pigmentation as you will see below in my review.

These come in squeezy tube packaging, the applicator is a slanted dome with a little hole in the centre. As you can tell mine came with two different applicators, the Strawberry Smoothie (on left) has the old design of the round applicator, while Pina Colada (on right) came with the new slanted one, the slanted is definitely better for applying. Most lipglosses have doefoot applicators, offering more precise application. These smell good, but they do not smell like the fruit or name on the package, they all kind of smell like candy.

The formula is moisturizing, shiny, thick but not too sticky and sheer colour. The colour on your lips is not as pigmented as it looks in the tube. It would make for a nice gloss to put over lipstick. As with most lipglosses, these do not last long, they need to be re-applied. I admit I am not much of a lip person, but I am getting into it lately a lot, or so, buying a lot and not wearing very much of it. hahaha. Yeah, I am terrible.

Bubble Gum is like a milky soft pink shade. It has what looks like silver shimmers, not really noticeable on the lips and definitely not something others would notice either. I have read that this is a dupe for NARS Turkish Delight lipgloss, however I do not own that one, so I cannot comment. If you have less pigmented lips than mine, this will look more pale on you..

Pina Colada is a milky nude color in the tube, but on the lips, it looks the same as Bubble Gum above, I find Bubble Gum does a better job at pale-ing out my lips however. This is apparently a dupe for MAC's C-Thru lipglass.

Strawberry Smoothie is a sheer pink, with multi-coloured shimmers. Judging from the swatch above, you'd think this would be really pigmented, but it's really not much different applied. This ones gives a more orangey look.

So would I get more of these? Probably not, I find they all look the same applied, which is a shame because in the packaging they look so promising. I know these are called "sheer" lipgloss, but I was hoping for a bit more colour payoff.

Have you tried any of the L'oreal Color Juice lipglosses?

7 comments:

TINA said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review, i was thinking about getting these.

Milz said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review I don't have a lot of lipglosses and I was thinking of getting some but after this review I guess I should skip these I want glosses with good color payoff and more long lasting.Have you tried Lancome or Maybelline glosses are they good?I am going to get some soon and I really don't want to waste my money

cocoabee said... Best Blogger Tips

omg which store was it? (i'm in vancouver too!) is the sale still on? =D

i haven't tried these but i heard that they are good though ): dupes for lancome juicy tubes.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@cocoabee - this was at rexall pharma plus a few months ago, sorry.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for the review. the colours look quite nice in the swatches, it's a pity it's sheer once applied. Guess I'll pass on these glosses too.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Woo, they look pretty much the same on lips @_@...

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Pixie D - I know right?! My lips are normally quite pigmented so it takes a strong colour to really show up on my lips, but I guess that's the true test. These are poorly pigmented.