Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Rimmel Clean Finish Foundation

Rimmel's latest foundation is called "Clean Finish" and it is advertised as providing 100% poreless, natural and even complexion with a lightweight and clean finish. It's fragrance-free and dermatologist tested, and has vitamin A and E. What attracted me to this foundation was the spatula applicator, this is something new and ingenious in my opinion. This is also one of the cheapest foundations that I've ever purchased, it was around $6 in Canada and it's like $3.97 in the states which is crazy cheap!

Take a look at that spatula, isn't that the neatest thing? I complain all the time about how drugstore foundations do not have a pump. This handy little spatula, like a mini paddle, helps you scoop out as much product as you need and eliminates wastage. I hope other companies start making applicators like this, although pumps are still better, this is cool too. I apply the foundation by scooping it with the spatula and applying pieces of it directly to my face and then blending it in with my hands (prefer for this foundation) or a brush. I only use it on myself so I am not concerned about hygienic issues. The spatula has tiny holes in it too, I guess to eliminate the product from sticking to it too much, but it won't drip cause this product is so thick, you can shake the bottle upside down and it won't go anywhere!

The spatula works especially well with this foundation because the foundation is super thick. It has a thick, moussy consistency. However for as thick as it, when you apply it, it smooths out and blends into a thinner consistency. I also expected this to give full coverage since it's so thick, but no, the coverage is more light-medium.

This is probably the first Rimmel foundation that has carried a shade light enough for me, I am NC15 and I purchased the lightest shade in 120 Ivory, which is neutral toned and is a pretty good match. So kudos for Rimmel for finally getting it right, as you can tell in the second swatch, the two on the left, the Stay Matte and Lasting Finish were far too dark for me, Clean Finish is much better. Their new Match Perfection was far too dark for me again, so I won't be buying that one.

It does darken a bit on the skin (a bit more pink), but not too bad (I blended it in a bit here). I find it dries quickly so you have to work fast, I prefer to use my hands with this product, melts in it nicely and gives that "clean" finish that it's supposed to, like you aren't wearing too much on your face. I wore this over Hard Candy's Illuminating Primer underneath today (that's why there are sparkles on my hand, this foundation doesn't have any!) and it applies very well. On my dry skin, it felt totally fine and did not cling to dry areas at all.

Would I recommend this product? Yes, this is one of the best drugstore foundations that I've used. I love the spatula applicator and the finish and coverage that it provides, plus it's super cheap.

Have you tried Rimmel's Clean Finish?

24 comments:

Stephanie said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooh! I like the spatula too! I didn't know it's been released in Canada :) Does it feel oily like the Fit Me?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Steph - it's in Canada, I found it at walmart, I think it's a walmart-exclusive. It feels like it would be better for those with dry skin, but it gives more coverage than fit me, and totally different consistency.

Stephanie C. said... Best Blogger Tips

I saw this at Walmart when I went a few weeks ago but wasn't so sure. Now I'll definitely check it out more seriously! The spatula is really neat.

Kristie said... Best Blogger Tips

I like the spatula idea. Like you said, it's difficult not to pour out too much foundation with the typical bottle from other DS brands. Glad to see a good foundation that's not crazy thick and goes on cakey.

River said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the spatula idea! More need to come with that.

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

I think the spatula is a cool idea, I don't think these have made it to my Walmart yet.

MaquiLab said... Best Blogger Tips

Can't wait to try it - I believe that it will match my skintone, while other rimmel fdts didn't :(

Aphrosie said... Best Blogger Tips

I like the idea of the spatula. I love the pump ones but you can't get the end of the bottle out. I would say this would be great for completely finishing the bottle.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

oooh...Justine-this looks good! Yay for Rimmel with making a foundation light enough! Usually if it works for you, then it might work on me too! ;) The spatula thing looks cool too. And, I know, all foundations should come with a pump, right! :)

Cydonian said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay for cheap, good foundations! May have to give this one a try.

TINA said... Best Blogger Tips

I never have luck with drug store foundation, this is a good price, maybe ill pick it up today! thanks for the review :D

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for the great swatches. They're extremely helpful. The Stay Matte in Ivory was a little dark on me, too. I was contemplating getting the Lasting Finish in Ivory to try next but now I'm going to skip the Lasting Finish and go straight for the Clean Finish Ivory instead.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

trust this review! i might get it and hopefully it works as good as colorstay. especially a lot cheaper! thanks for the review :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Justine,
Could you post a pic of the ingredient list? :)

Cocovanilla said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay for Rimmel making a shade light enough!

I don't know if you already talked about it, but have you bought the new concealer called something like Match Perfection by Rimmel? I wonder if the lightest shade is light enough and if it covers well.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Coco - The match perfection foundation was far too dark in the foundation, I looked over the concealers and just assumed they'd be too dark too.

Donna said... Best Blogger Tips

right after im done my maybelline foundation im for sure picking this one up!!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@anonymous - check out the ingredients on makeupalley at the link below, there is an "ingredients" link under the ratings.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=139893/Clean_Finish/Rimmel/Foundations

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@allstyledup - definitely not as much coverage as colorstay.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice!! I will have to check this out! Thanks for the swatches!

Leah said... Best Blogger Tips

that's the craziest thing ever! A spatula? Wish I could try this out, it's not even advertised here yet.
x

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I will have to try this out!

Quest♥Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow I've never seen this before, I like how there's a spatula! Thanks for this review :)

Grotesque.Angel said... Best Blogger Tips

I bought this foundation because it was super cheap (I am that poor). Before I tried this foundation I thought that it was also going to be cheap quality. I was wrong it is great for my skin-type, which is acne prone, oily forehead and dry cheeks. This foundation does not feel nor gives an oily finish. Very light feel not heavy and you don't need much for coverage since it is creamy texture. It also gives a dewy finish.. but I love love love the wand. I would recommend this to some of my friends.