Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Review: Hard Candy Undercover Agent

Today I will be reviewing the Hard Candy Undercover Agent, undereye brightener and concealer duo. I want to start out by saying that I was not planning on buying this product, but my search for Glamoflague has caused me to buy a lot more Hard Candy items that I probably wouldn't have bought. I noticed this on the display and thought maybe this could curb my need for Glamoflague, but I don't think it did. The name, Undercover Agent is totally cute and I was curious. The Hard Candy website describes this as "Your new secret weapon to disguising and preventing any undereye imperfections! It brightens your undereye area, reduces dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines, and conceals and covers for a perfect finish. Undercover Agent comes in three skin tone shades to blend seamlessly and softly into your undereye area."



This product is a duo, it comes with 1) brighten and depuff undereye brightener and 2) conceal and cover concealer. The packaging is deceiving since the actual tube is hidden in the box and it makes you think that you are perhaps getting more than you actually are.

Once out of the box, this is what you get, a black squeeze tube, which is the undereye brightener and then the nub on the end is the concealer. The way the package functions is you take the plastic cap off the nub and then the nub off and you get the squeeze container of the eye brightener (applied first) and then the nub is your concealer. You can apply the concealer by taking the nub (awkward to hold) and applying it directly or taking some on your finger and applying it (I suggest this). However, you'd be best off to screw the silly nub back on the package and apply it. The packaging is really awkward and weird, and gets messy. 

I like the concept, since we should all use a cream under our eye to moisturizer and prep the area before applying concealer. This makes it go on smoother and not sweep and crease into lines (if you can manage that). But this is just awkward to use in my opinion. I did not notice any brightening qualities to the cream though, no shimmers or glitters in it.


Here is a swatch of both ends, the eye brightener comes out white, but once blended in it's clear and quite thin and applies well I think, it's not bad at all. The concealer is quite drying and sticky and reminds me of the lipstick consistency that you'd find in many drugstore concealers. The concealer definitely needs the cream or else it will crease for sure and look very dry under the eyes. The coverage is average too.

Would I recommend this? No. It's just an average concealer. It only comes in three shades, which may be a problem for some. I have it in the lightest colour here, Light, which is yellow toned. I prefer the eye cream in this over the concealer itself, and you get a lot of it, so if you like it, that's good.

Have you tried the Hard Candy Undercover Agent?

10 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for reviewing this! I have been curious about the new Hard Candy concealers but haven't indulged yet. I will be skipping this one. But I have to say I like some of their other new products, like the boxed powders for sure!

мσитѕєяgιяℓ ❥ said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeah it doesn't look fantastic.. I've never tried it and now I'm not too tempted to. Thanks for the heads up!!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the great review Justine! I think I will pass on this one. I have really been into exploring this brand lately! There are some great HC items to be had, but my WalMart is always so picked over in the HC section! I always want to look through the concealer selection but they are always out of the light shades it seems.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hmmm-interesting concept, I'll give them props for that!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@bloominbeauty - the boxed blushes are fantastic, but this product definitely did not work for me.

@Pammy - the hard candy displays at walmart are a disaster here too, hence why I can never actually get the products that I actually want and end up buying other stuff instead! it's a sickness.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I feel exactly the same way! Cute packaging and a whole lot of no big deal when in use. Totally not worth $7 or whatever it was...Oh well:)

AnNeTtEe said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for reviewing this! if it wasn't for your awesome reviews I would've already purchased that in a heartbeat... a lot of us girls get victimized by them cute packaging... that is why I love blogging coz it gives us a lot of information before we get fooled... thanks girl!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@annette - no problem, leave it to me to give a negative review about something, I totally will! :)

Leah said... Best Blogger Tips

That concealer actually looks quite nice, shame about the texture. Is the shade a good or bad match for you?
x

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Leah - the colour is okay, just not a fan of how dry it is.