Thursday, April 7, 2011

Review: Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer

As the warmer weather approaches a good transition face product is a tinted moisturizer. I was pleased to see Clinique come out with one recently, the Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15. This product is described as "allergy tested, 100 fragrance-free, sheer, hydrating coverage, natural finish... smooth on an instant moisture boost with SPF protection and a hint of skin-perfecting colour. Lightweight formula provides a no-makeup look and feel, yet covers imperfections with a natural, hydrating touch. Long-wearing, oil-free, apply prior to sun exposure." 

I am a big fan of Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief from Clinique, the gel that comes in a small pink pot, however recently I learned that it wasn't meant as a moisturizer but as an initial complimentary product, a sort of drink of water for dehydrated skin. It helps your skin feels moist and hydrated at first and then wears off. My skin is quite dry, so I layer products on anyway and Moisture Surge went on top of my regular moisturizer. Apparently Moisture Surge should not be recommended for those with dry skin because it contains NO moisturizing abilities in it (this information comes from makeupalley). Anyway, when I first thought of this product I thought it would be like that same gel consistency that Moisture Surge is, well it's not, it's more of a light cream consistency, which is too bad, it feels like any other foundation. For complete ingredients list, check it out on makeupalley here, the product contains Menthol which people are complaining about, so if you have sensitive skin, maybe a no no.

It comes in a 30ml bottle, just like any standard sized foundation, the price is the same as most Clinique foundations, $30 CAD/$24.50US. I have it here in the lightest colour, 01 VF-N (I think that means very fair neutral). And as I predict for all Clinique foundations, it's anything but "very fair" this colour isn't a great match for me, it's a bit too dark, but since it's not high coverage, I can make it work, or so try my best to. The bottle looks smaller than the other Clinique foundations that I have, but it's the exact same size, it's a bit wider too. 

When I shake the bottles up, I can tell that Moisture Surge tinted moisturizer is the most watery out of the three Clinique foundations that I have. This product blends very easily since it's such a thin consistency. It has replaced the Almost Makeup and Moisture Sheer Tint, both products have been discontinued, however I've read this product gives better coverage (I haven't used the others). The coverage is light, nice for dry skin and for those with oily skin, I would suggest setting it with a powder for sure since the finish is dewy. On my skin, this tinted moisturizer never really felt like it set or dried down, which I suppose is the idea of a tinted moisturizer, I did set it with a powder (Laura Mercier Loose Setting). It feels very light on the skin, like a moisturizer, but with the added benefits of a bit of colour too. For those with minor imperfections, I think this is a good product. 

Here is my problem with Moisture Surge however, the colour selection! As you can tell from the swatches above, this product is the darkest and most yellow out of the three Clinique foundations that I own (all in lightest shades). I'd say Shade 01 in this is like NC/NW20, and I am lighter than that. And I find that it does get darker as it sets, what is up with that? Even Better still reigns as my favourite Clinique foundation, it has the most luminosity and moisturization in my opinion for my skin and the colour is the best (less yellow than Moisture Surge).

Would I recommend this product? If you're a fan of tinted moisturizers, this is a nice one to try out, if you can find your colour match. For those with dry skin, looking for something light feeling with light coverage, this is nice to have. However, for me I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't that gel consistency that I was hoping for.

14 comments:

Christiana said... Best Blogger Tips

Menthol? That's weird. Does it feel strange on your skin? I really wish Clinique would make their foundations in a larger colour range. I really like their foundations but there's no way I can make them work for me.

River said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never used a tinted moisturiser, not really a fan, in my opinion they always look slightly orange (only slightly), but maybe that's just from the ones I've seen!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@christiana - I've read that menthol can irritate the skin so it's weird that clinique, being such a skincare-focused brand would add that. It feels fine on my skin.

Fay. H. said... Best Blogger Tips

I never used a tinted moisturizer before but lately I've been thinking about using them because:
1) I'm having dry skin issue
2) Summer is coming so I want something lighter on my face
I was thinking of either Clinique or Biotherm... I think I need to read more reviews first!

Thanks for the review!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't understand why it's so difficult for companies to come out with colours for pale girls. Everywhere I look people are complaining that foundations are too dark. Luckily I don't fall in the super pale range, but I really sympathize with your trial in this regard!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Liz - I have no idea, just make them lighter! I am betting the super dark shades are hard to find too, it's especially hard when companies come out with like 6 shades only, like in this product.

Leah said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds quite nice to try out :D Shame about the colours, I've heard of their bad matching range in many blogs too!
xx

herroyalbleakness said... Best Blogger Tips

Even Better in Alabaster looks real nice and perfect on your skin.

Thank you for this detailed review, Justine. excellent job. It makes me wanna try it when it reaches our local counters (i hope, soon). Currently, I love Superfit despite the fact that Neutral oxidizes on my skin and the lighter shade (i think Cream Beige?) is a little too light for my liking. Again, shade problems *sighs*

I feel like checking out Even better, too! :)

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

You are so right that menthol is a potent skin irritant. It's really too bad because this TM looks so beautiful on the skin.

Cydonian said... Best Blogger Tips

I want to scream at Clinique to get their color selections fixed! They're awful. I used to have to lie when I worked there and say I was wearing their foundation when I wasn't ;-). Oh, and trying to match a darker lady? Not happening except in maybe 1 or 2 of their foundations. Laaaame. I'll test this at the store tonight!

Urban said... Best Blogger Tips

I've had some really hard time with this product ... tried to make it work, but failed - I guess my skin just doesn't like Clinique, all their foundations and this turn orange on me, no matter what I wear underneath :/ Too bad :/ I guess I'll stick to BB creams.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks like this one would not work for me either. Too dark and too yellow. Plus, my skin does not like menthol. Thanks for reviewing Justine! Your reviews are always so helpful!!!!

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm still annoyed that the Almost Makeup has been discontinued, why do companies do that..every time I went to get it, it used to be sold out. So frustrating. I too had read about the menthol in this & will likely take a pass. Thanks Justine!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the review. I had never heard of this product but want to try the Clinique foundation for some time now :)