Saturday, February 26, 2011

Review: Wet N Wild Sand Castle Eyeshadow Palette

Before Wet N Wild had their Color Icon palettes, that everyone speaks very highly of, and before they were really popular, they had eyeshadow palettes that looked very different. Today, I will review for you the Sand Castle Ultimate Expressions Eyeshadow Palette. I am not sure if this is still available, I don't see it on their website, please let me know in the comments below. I really like this palette because it provides a nice selection of light and dark colours.

On the back of the package this palette is described as "Smooth, powder formula. Define, highlight and contour, 8 long-wearing shades. Dress up your eyes... these eight-color combos are designed to accentuate and bring out your eye color. Each shade is perfectly harmonized to work well together or individually for ultimate defining, highlighting and contouring. Turn your everyday eyes into eye-popping masterpieces".

The palette comes with 8 shadows, I am assuming the vertical ones are meant as highlighters and the horizontal ones the lid/crease colours? You know how drugstore brands put out palettes and they have the lid, crease, browbone labelled on the package so that it's easy? I think this was Wet N Wild's attempt way back when, but it's a tad confusing for me. I am totally fine with finding my own combinations and ways to use these shadows though.

Here are the swatches, the top ones are the vertical and the bottom the horizontal shades. The first two are the two left colours, they aren't as smooth as the rest of the palette and the second down from the left doesn't have much pigmentation, is chalky and prone to fallout. The two on the right (and right on palette) are very nice and probably my two favourites, they are very smooth and buttery. The four bottom (or in middle of palette) are all stand out shades, very smooth and buttery. There is a taupe brown (similar to Nutty), dark gold, bronzy brown and deep brown.

The packaging is quote hefty and large, in comparison to my palm here, you can really see how big it is, I prefer the current packaging of Wet N Wild shadows much more.

And here is the palette opened all the way, you get a huge mirror that comes out in the bottom of the palette, great for taking with you travelling. There is also a double-ended sponge applicator, I've never used it. The shadows are really nice however. I thought it would be neat to show you what Wet N Wild used to look like, I think they have really improved, but the shadows used to be just as good. Oh and I wanted to add...the shadows smell cheap, I haven't noticed this with the Color Icon palettes.

Do you have any retro Wet N Wild?

12 comments:

Leah said... Best Blogger Tips

Very different, but interesting!

Rena said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooh-la-la! I bought a palette as well but a different color set! I DO use the side colors for highlighting...however, because I used one of them so much I've actually hit pan...within 1 week or so! So the only downfall about this palette is that there is such a small amount. Once you hit pan, you'll eventually see how thin of an amount there is. But YES YES YES! The shadows are smooth, shimmery, and blendable!

Oh, and I got mine last year during the clearance sale at CVS for only $2.49!

<33 Rena

rheenabettes said... Best Blogger Tips

I have this palette too! I think they've been discontinued.

Yeah, the two colors on the left aren't as smooth as the others. I think the palette as a whole is pretty great though. Wet n Wild has always had pretty good products, but I think the packaging really threw people off. And the smell really isn't appealing.

Overall, the product is quite nice :)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow pretty cool! Retro Wet N Wild! I have to admit I never looked at WnW until they started talking about it on YT. Interesting to see how they've changed. Thanks!

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

I remember this! I had 2 in highschool -had to buy a second one after the first one broke. I don't know where mine is anymore but I remember it was AWESOME back in hs and worked better than my Cover Girl and Maybelline eyeshadows. =P

xAgnes said... Best Blogger Tips

wow! retro wet n' wild! haha crazy! seems like the shadow quality was just as goood although i agree with you, im definitely digging the new packaging better lol :p thanks for sharing!!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@kali - you had this in high school? How long ago was that? if you don't mind me asking, for me it would be quite aways back.

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I have this! It was dc but I don't mind. There was a shimmer overload and it made my eye area look weird.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the colors! I can remeber the old 'retro' packaging lol I'll have to check out my stores to see if they do still carry them, but I'm sure they are long gone.

Leticia said... Best Blogger Tips

I noticed the bad smell too. I am so glad the new palettes have no scent. I have three of these, including Sand Castle (my favorite). You can still find these at a few Rite Aids, and all the Walmarts in my area have them too. I believe they can be found online at places like Cherry Culture. I do think they are on their way out, but are still locatable.

Cynthia said... Best Blogger Tips

I got this palette a few years ago and realized that this was being discontinued. Some of the shades are really nice and pigmented but I'm not aware of the cheap smell for this palette. Thanks for reviewing this.

Cydonian said... Best Blogger Tips

The shade in the bottom left on your swatch pic is GAWJUS... do want. WetnWild has nice neutrals sometimes... but they smell? WTF? haha