Monday, February 28, 2011

Sephora, MAC, Drugstore Haul

So my apartment complex was doing some work on the electricity today, so there would be no heat/power/light from 10am-6pm, and after showering in the dark, I decided it was a good day to go shopping!

I stopped by Sephora to pick up my free Beauty Insider birthday gift (my birthday is March 9), this year it's the Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake Shampoo, Shower Gel and Bubble Bath. It's a nice freebie, big 180ml bottle, there is no purchase necessary to get this, just tell the cashier that it's your birthday and you'll get it (if you are a Beauty Insider). Last year's gift I didn't even bother getting, it was a Sephora brand eyeliner, eyeshadow set.

My main mission at Sephora was to get my first NARS blush, but upon looking at the section noticed they did not have Gina (the blush I wanted), not even a spot for it. Luster was a nice peach too, but too shimmery and Taj Mahal, which everyone raves about didn't have a spot either. I spoke to one of the girls there and they hadn't heard of the colours and told me they must have been US only blushes.. great, don't you love when that happens? You have your heart set on something and you can't get it. I dislike shopping at Sephora online too because paying $10 extra to get something (shipping cost) when I should be able to get it in the store is just irritating, I'll probably end up buying those blushes elsewhere.

While I was waiting in line to pay I also noticed this cute Benefit set, it comes with 3x 4ml bottles of Posie tint, High beam and Benetint for $18 CAD, it's available online too. I've wanted to try High beam for a while and the full size is like $30 CAD and frankly, I would never go through the entire thing, and the High beam To Go is like $12 so for $6 more you can get 3 minis, which are really cute and practical. Let me know if you've used any of these three and how you like them.

I also got another Benefit Creaseless Creme Shadow/liner, this time in Birthday Suit, it's described as a "brushed chrome" to me it looks a bit taupey or brown, not really sure what colour it is yet. This was one of those spur of the moment purchases, I probably shouldn't have bought it.. got home and regretted it, I might return it. I have that problem with Sephora, I always buy too much.

I was pleased to see that my MAC store had Lady Gaga 2 lipstick in stock still, the picture of it looks peachy, but it's a light brown/nude lipstick. I grabbed that and also Back to MAC'ed 6 empties for MAC Hue lipstick, which I have wanted for a long time too.

Then at the drugstore I picked up the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascra, the packaging on this is really cool, it's like a green leaf shape. I find Physicians Formula to be really expensive for drugstore, and despite all the rebates they offer, you're still spending a lot of money, that's why I opted not to get those heart powders that everyone has been getting, too expensive for me, I'd rather spend that on other things. This mascara was 40% off and ended up being $10 after discount and it comes with a full price rebate, meaning you send in and get the entire amount you paid for it back.

I also picked up Revlon's Coral Reef Super Lustrous which I finally found, couldn't get it for the longest time, it's always sold out, it was $6.99. And I picked up some Garnier face wipes, the cheapest "nice brand" I could find, they were $7.99.

If you want reviews of anything, let me know, I am definitely planning to do a full review on the Lady Gaga lipstick and the Benefit set.

28 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Great haul! xx

Michelle @Lipstickrules said... Best Blogger Tips

those NARS blushes are available at Holt Renfrew!! Sephora doesn't carry everything from NARS.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Michelle - Boo!, there isn't a Holt Renfrew at Eaton centre, what a hassle to have to shop around everywhere. I am going to buy my NARS blushes from Kissandmakeupny they have free shipping and take paypal.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your purchases! :) Happy Birthday once it arrives. lol Once you get the chance could you please review Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascra? Thank you.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Can you suggest me a concealer for under the eyes for everyday use (for dark circles)?

Lara

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lara - Depends on if you are looking for high or low end, and how bad your dark circles are, I really like benefit's erase paste, there is a mini set at sephora available for $10 and gets you a tiny erase paste (the full size is really too huge imo), a creaseless cream shadow and stay don't stray, link below
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P264906

For drugstore, I like the revlon age defying moisturizing creme concealer (it comes in a red tube).

I've done reviews of these both if you want to check them out :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks. I am looking for a high end one. My dark circles are bad but I prefer something light. :)
Lara

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Justine,

I feel for ya about NARS i so wanted to get Gina Gilda and Taj Mahal and of course not there. Same thing the girl working never heard of them, you think they would working at a makeup store but anywho very frustrating. I also picked up Mac lady gaga 2 and its alright it turns a little grey on me kinda of scary but I just put gloss over it and it's alright. Thanks for the haul post enjoy those!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa - totally disappointed, it really irritates me how sephora in canada doesn't have the same stuff as in the states, and it didn't even cross my mind that they wouldn't have some of the blushes! And the girl not knowing, that is not acceptable at all, you are right, they should know the products inside and out, and better than us. I am on my rag too so things bother me more than they should. :)

Edwina said... Best Blogger Tips

ohhh the benefit set looks like a great deal!! I might checkout Sephora to see if they still have it! I'm canadian also and don't u just hate it when you browse on the sephora site for things... then to realize that the canadian price is like at least $10 more? And to get free shipping, u need to spend $150 whereas if we're in the states, it's A LOT less? ughhh bugs me so much! The price difference makes me wanna just not buy anything from there!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

Great haul!
I'm pretty sure my Bay counter has all the NARS blushes. I got Taj Mahal there and they do have Gina too. If you want me to pick one up for you I can!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said... Best Blogger Tips

Fun haul!

I have NARS Luster and it doesn't look as shimmery on my cheeks as it looks in the pan. The Bay at the Eaton Centre has a NARS counter that should have Gina.

Kaitlyn said... Best Blogger Tips

can't wait to get my gift! my bday is march 8th :)

that lady gaga 2 lipstick looks gorgeous! i'll probably never get it, but it is very pretty!

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

Justine I thought birthday suit looked great, you don't like it? Also I believe the Bay carries more NARS so you may also want to check there..such a pain when that happens!

~Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice haul. I got the Physician's Formula Liquid Liner - full rebates!

Ella Pretty Blog said... Best Blogger Tips

The birthday gift this year looks great - I've always wanted to try Philosophy products.

I would have been tempted to get the Benefit trio - but I recently got highbeam as a 100 point gift at Sephora.

The mascara rebate is an amazing offer! I'm very happy with my Maybelline Falsies though.

Jenni said... Best Blogger Tips

great haul!! i'd love to try teh benefit mini set too, but i own posietint and high beam already :( My friend lost my BeneTint so i'd probably purchase the full size one.

happy birthday to you in advance :D!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Edwina - I always wondered why you had to spend $150 to get free shipping, but only $50 if you were in the US, it's really not fair. Plus many brands Sephora brands online won't even ship to Canada, like Chanel, Clinique, Bobbi Brown etc etc.

@Tracy D - Birthday Suit is very nice, I just think I overspent.

Miss ♥ Nikka said... Best Blogger Tips

Great haul! Sephora's Bday gift last year sucks, I got it and never even opened it. Lol. I love revlon's lipglosses! :) Please review the Garnier face wipes, I always love trying out new face wipes.

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

Great haul -I got the Benefit set too.

And happy early birthday!

Don't worry, my local Sephora store RARELY has the NARS blushes I want either!! =\

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

finally, someone who has the benefit trio!
are they the same size as the "to go" sets? if you don't mind, how tall are they?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous - here is the exact set, feeling cheeky to go.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P281701&categoryId=C8330&shouldPaginate=true
.13oz or 4ml each

Dye-A-Graham said... Best Blogger Tips

I would love a review of the Garnier wipes...I'm always on the hunt for good wipes and have been curious about those for a while..Thanks!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

WOOOOAH that Physician's Formula mascara looks CRRRRAAAZZZY. Review, please! :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Widdlesh - I know the shape of that mascara made me buy it on it's own!

Val said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the haul! Enjoy the makeup :) I love Benetint and Coral Reef, hope you will too!

kellyyes said... Best Blogger Tips

its not just canadian sephoras...sephora in general doesnt carry the full range of nars products. if they did, i would have gotten a lot more colors than i have now! im surprised the sephora workers didnt know what you were talking about...

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@kellyyes - You are right, I looked on the sephora website and it's not even there! crazy stuff, I bought the blush from kissandmakeupny.com they have free shipping to us and canada and have like all the blushes! ;P