Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Wet N Wild Vanity Color Icon Eyeshadow

I am no longer a Wet N Wild eyeshadow virgin, I finally went out and got two of the Color Icon eyeshadow palettes the other day. I know everyone loves these, but I am true to my MAC shadows and do not get as excited about eyeshadow as I do foundation. Plus these are like $7 in Canada, I know that's still cheap but you know, it adds up. In the US these are on sale all the time, but not here. And we never did get the limited edition holiday ones that everyone was raving about, I wish we did (edit: apparently we did get them, I just didn't bother looking.. oops!). Anyone want to send them to me? ;P

"Vanity" was the Wet N Wild palette that interested me most because it's neutral and very wearable. As all Color Icon palettes I believe, it has 3 mattes on the left, 3 shimmers on the right. Which is great because it pleases everyone, not everyone likes all shimmer shadows and mattes are more appropriate sometimes. I think this palette is quite versatile and you can get lots of looks here by combining shades from each side. They are VERY pigmented, although a tad powdery.

Here are swatches of the entire palette, from the matte row: 1) off white 2) warm light brown 3) reddish brown and from the shimmer row 4) champagne 5) gold 6) bronze brown. This is quite a warm-toned palette. I don't think the colour selections could of been any better, you have everything you need here. Actually the shadow that is my favourite in the bunch is that matte light brown, it's very practical.

Even though I love my MAC neutral shadows, I didn't have many dupes from this palette, I know there are dupes, I just don't own them myself. Below is a list of dupes that I or others have found, if you considering getting the MAC equivalents I would suggest picking up this palette instead to save yourself some money cause the pigmentation is good if not better.

1) MAC Bisque/Brule
2) MAC Cork (pictured)/Texture
3) MAC Embark
4) MAC Nylon
5) MAC Gorgeous Gold/Goldmine
6) MAC Mulch (pictured)

And here is a closer look at that light brown in the Vanity palette and comparable MAC shadows. From left to right: MAC Kid, MAC Wedge, MAC Cork and the Wet N Wild colour (which is lighter than all of these, but just as pigmented). In person Cork looks close to the Vanity colour, but now looking at the photo, Kid looks the closest to it, anyway you girls get the idea.

I love this palette, tomorrow I will be reviewing Lust (purple palette).

22 comments:

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I bought the Lust palette almost a month ago from wal-mart for only $4.99CAD (it was on sale)!!

Nikosmommy said... Best Blogger Tips

I have all of the color Icon 6 pan palettes and I truly LOVE them. I honestly would have never bought them if it weren't for fellow beauty bloggers raving about them. I only ever wore MAC shadows for YEARS but I've definitely been turned onto drugstore brands like Wet N Wild. The Lust palette is my fave, it's so pigmented and perfect for doing a bold nighttime look. WnW really got their shiz together making this new(er) line of color icon shadows.
I never saw the holiday palettes anywhere and believe me I looked everywhere!

Kaitlyn said... Best Blogger Tips

i wanted this one, but they didn't have any at the store when i went. i only have lust and greed.

AnNeTtEe said... Best Blogger Tips

awesome review!! thanks for sharing the dupes!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

ooo i have it too! thanks for the comparison!!
i don't have kid/wedge/cork/shroom but mulch!
(isnt shroom a little shimmery?)

i'm also looking to collect most/all the other ones before the new ones come out... i do like them but i haven't really decided if i want to bother getting them all for the sake of just having them! =P weird me.

Leticia said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know why, but I keep picking these up and then putting them down. I need to just buy them already. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I want it! lol

I'm still looking for the permanent coloricon palettes. I have all the holiday palettes and got it from Zellers. Where did you get this from?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Vanilla - lucky girl, I've never seen these on sale!

@allstyledup - ya shroom is sheeny, I don't have a matte white/cream MAC shadow so that was the closest, just adding it for comparison purposes.

@Tanisa - I got it at Walmart.

Dee said... Best Blogger Tips

I have a handful of the single Color Icon shadows and I really like them. I've been avoiding buying any of these because the one thing I do not need in my life is more eyeshadow, but every time I read a rave review of them, I'm just that bit more tempted...

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

That top left shadow (#1) is Wet N Wild's brulee..you can buy it in a single shadow. One of my favourite blending/highlighting shadows! Enjoy :)

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

I picked this up at Wal Mart on Friday when I went to pick up Maybelline Fit (which they didn't have yet, but should be in this week...grr!)

I didn't pick up "Lust" but I think that I might when I go back. I like the palette over all, but the shimmer shades don't seem to be very pigmented when I swatch them. Maybe I need to play around more.

Ashley said... Best Blogger Tips

The WnW holiday palettes never reached B.C. as far as I know! I'm very jealous of the Canadian girls who got their hands on them! I ran to 4 different Zellers and couldn't find them. I tried Superstore too but no luck. The permanent Color Icon palettes don't excite me as much anymore but Vanity is probably my favorite out of the four.

Maria said... Best Blogger Tips

I used this on my eyes for the first time today and *swoon* just gorgeous! I'll be posting the look in the next few days. :)

Irene Blushing Loves said... Best Blogger Tips

Vantiy os noe of my favs!!!So many neutrals and love the fact that one side is matte and the other shimery!!
Enjoy it hun!!
xxx

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Dee - I know what you mean, I do not need anymore eyeshadows either, it took me a while to warm up to these.

@tracy - I picked up the single in nutty too, looked at brule, but preferred to just have palettes.

@Bailey - I hope you get fit me, it's pretty good foundation, but sheer for sure and for it, it was really hard finding the right colour, had to return the one that I originally had.

@Ashley - I wanted the christmas ones too, but never saw them here in Ontario... oh well, I don't need more eyeshadow, but would of loved to have the sugar plum fairy one.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

i picked up this palette too, i like it quite a bit! btw - i'm your 1000th follower, woohoo!!

great post :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I won the LE Sugarplum fairy one of these in a giveaway and its absolutely beautiful!
Its so fab, it makes me wish I could pick one up whenever I wanted!
I hate that some things are US/ UK only :(
xx

Cydonian said... Best Blogger Tips

That weird matte brown shade is actually pretty close to Mac Texture, which is a bit lighter than Kid. The gold in the palette is kinda like Goldmine (I think Gorgeous Gold is more green/gold?) But yeah, big help on the comparisons by the way. I love the WetnWild palette!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Janine - thank you, just noticed I passed 1000 followers. Thank you everyone! It means a lot to me! :)

@Cydonian - thanks for letting me know. I may have to get Texture now too.

Stevista said... Best Blogger Tips

I seriously love this palette! :) I've used it so much ever since I got it thanks to Cydonian! :D x

meredith said... Best Blogger Tips

Where did you find these? At SDM or Rexall?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@meredith - Hey, I have only seen wet n wild at walmart, that's where I get mine,