Sunday, February 13, 2011

Review: Rimmel Lash Accelerator

Another mascara review coming your way! Rimmel's Lash Accelerator is a mascara that I've been eyeing up for some time, however I kept finding it very expensive in drugstores around here (in Canada) so I picked it up and put it down several times. Lately, I've noticed it has gone down in price, I think mine was $7 at Rexall Pharma Plus. This mascara is one of those "lash growing" types. The advertisement claims that the mascara has "grow-lash complex" (a mix of bamboo extract, procapil and biotin) and that lashes will "look up to 117% longer in 30 days and up to 80% longer instantly". "Beautifully long, remarkably strong lashes, clinically tested". And that "95% saw a lengthening effect on bare lashes in 2 weeks". I love that Zooey Deschanel was the face for this campaign, she is totally cool, although I find she doesn't look like herself in these images, anyone else think that? And those false lashes that they put on her and thick eyeliner is ridiculous and takes away from the legitimacy of their claims.

As with any lash growth product (I've used Loreal Lash Serum and Revlon Grow Luscious and liked them both) I don't think these products really grow  your lashes, but condition them so that they can reach their full potential,ie don't fall out as much or break off. Think of it as a conditioner for your hair (for your head).

The mascara comes in a black and yellow tub, it has meters like a testube would on the side, to measure your lashes I suppose (not actually, but it's cute). I've read other girls mention this too, but you can tell the label is just a sticker on the tub and in one place you can see the seam, which is a bit cheap looking. The writing on it is also holographic which is cool.


The brush on Rimmel's Lash Accelerator is thin, gets fatter in the centre and then tapers on the ends, which makes it easy to get to those baby lashes. It's a lot smaller of a brush head than many of the mascaras out there today. The consistency is either wet nor dry, I like it and it has a kind of waxy, supple feel when you apply it. Anyone else think the name of this  mascara sounds like Terminator or something, I think the name is kinda funny.

Here are my lashes with nothing on, I am going to use this image as the "Day 1" of using this mascara and will show a new picture at the end of the 30 days to really show if this mascara has had any effect on my lashes. That means I will only use this mascara for 30 days no others and will try and apply it everyday for best results.


Here is the before and after pictures, with nothing on in the top image and with Lash Accelerator applied on the bottom picture. This for me is definitely a lengthening mascara, it gives me longer lashes and definitely pumps them up a bit giving more definition. The immediate results are nice and you can build this up for sure, since the formulation allows for that. Keep in mind my lashes are quite light coloured so many black mascara makes them look better anyway. If you looking for a lash-growing mascara that gives better volume, I would suggest the Revlon Grow Luscious (review of that one here). I will update you all in 30 days!

Have you tried Rimmel's Lash Accelerator? Did it accelerate your lashes?

Don't forget to enter my Sigma $20 gift card giveaway, contest closing at the end of day TODAY.

6 comments:

rakhshanda said... Best Blogger Tips

very nice applicator...i can see a clear difference in your lashes. thanks for sharing.

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I think I did an ingredient analysis/review on my blog a while back. While the formula is not proven in any clinical study to grow lashes I think this is still a really nice mascara that lengthens and can build thickness with successive coats.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks for the review, I think I might try maybelline one by one instead but this one still looks like a decent mascara.

Terri said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know which on to try this one or the other revlon one you recommended. :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Terri - If you want more volume get the revlon grow luscious, if you want separation and length go with rimmel. I have yet to see results with the rimmel, and revlon has a big fat brush. Hope that helps.

bittersweet delite said... Best Blogger Tips

What's the verdict on the mascara's lashing growing abilities? ;)