Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation

Make Up For Ever's HD foundation is quite possibly the most hyped up foundation ever, people love this foundation. It came out ages ago, just in time when the whole High Definition TV stuff was getting really popular. And it makes perfect sense that people would love this, it is supposed to act as an "invisible cover" foundation, designed for television stars (no SPF in this) to blur their imperfections and make their complexion look flawless. Sephora describes it as "An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life. This foundation creates a soft-focus effect, which is designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It leaves your complexion with such a flawless finish, it can withstand bright or harsh lighting." Sounds like the perfect foundation, so did I love it? Keep reading to find out.

I love Make Up For Ever's foundations, they are on the pricer side, this one retails for $40US/$46CAD, but I've been impressed with every single one that I've tried. I really took the time to learn this product, how to use it and best apply it. I had trouble with it at first, the application was tricky for me. I normally don't have this problem but, this foundation is so pigmented and covers so much that I found that I always put on too much and had a bit of a mask-like canvas on, it didn't look bad, just not what I am used to. You can sheer out any foundation, but with this one, I tend to pump out too much and I feel bad because this stuff is like liquid gold that I don't want to waste it.

I have this in the shade 117, which is a Marble, for light skin with yellow undertones. I could of probably gone with the shade down, 115, but that one has pink undertones and I prefer yellow for my skin. If you wear MAC NC15, this colour is a perfect match. MUFE HD comes in 25 shades, there is hopefully a shade for everyone, which is great (don't you hate when companies don't carry your right colour match? happens to me too often). I would suggest getting colourmatched at your Sephora, and get a sample, try it out, then buy it. it comes in perfect packaging too, plastic packaging (great for travel) and a great pump. To take a look at swatches, check out Karlasugar's page, swatches here, here and here.

The consistency is lightweight, but very pigmented, like very very, I poured out what seems like a tiny bit, but once you blend it out holy batman, you get a lot! Which makes me think this bottle is going to last me forever. I use one pump for my entire face. This is medium-full coverage for sure, the kind of coverage that I think most people desire in a foundation. I've tried applying it many different ways, MAC 187 or any stippling brush works well (lighter coverage) if you want to take the time, I think that's the best method. If you like quicker application (more coverage), a flat top works well too (like ELF's Studio Powder brush or Sigma F80), but I have to be careful with this cause it tends to pack on too much and my skin likes to absorb the product and it can look cakey. 

If I put on too much or don't blend in completely I get that blank look to my skin, it doesn't make my skin "glow" or look dewy which I like in a foundation. I'd say the finish is semi-matte. I don't require or want to put a powder over this, I do like to pile on the blush and highlighter when I wear this. Since it covers imperfections very well I feel like it takes away from my skin looking like skin and just looks really "made up", is it possible it makes my skin look too perfect? I guess I am not used to a foundation working so hard for me. For me, this has to be used in small quantities or else it's "Hello, I am wearing foundation!".

Here it is blended in, it's a pretty darn good match for me. The coverage is amazing. I do think that you need well moisturized skin to wear this though. I make sure I use a primer with it, that way it applies as smooth as possible. For those with dry skin, I would definitely suggest this over Mat Velvet + (way too drying), but I still prefer MUFE Face and Body over this, the finish is more natural and I like how it sits on my skin more. I can see MUFE HD working very well for those with normal-combo skin though.

And here to compare it to other foundation shades, you can tell how pigmented it is too. MUFE HD and NARS Sheer Glow in Gobi are a very close match, Sheer Glow is less coverage though. Dior Skin in Ivory and Clinique Even Better in Alabaster is much more pink/neutral toned.

For those looking for a flawless coverage foundation, if you are going to be on tv or taking lots of photographs, this is the foundation for you. I would totally recommend it and if applied well on smooth skin, it can look marvelous. If you are fed up with foundations not working for you, not giving the right coverage or colour match, definitely try this out.

Have you tried MUFE HD?

16 comments:

Jess said... Best Blogger Tips

when I first got MUFE HD I did have a hard time blending it, but I found that the beauty blender does a wonderful job with MUFE HD, so maybe give that try..great review! AND btw MUFE HD IS SOOO MY HG..love this stuff to pieces

MissA* said... Best Blogger Tips

It's my holy grail :) I'm using my second one now. I think I'm going to stick to this one for a while.

Alina Rodriguez said... Best Blogger Tips

I have a bottle of this foundation in the shade 120. I agree the coverage is great, and I really loved it when I first got it but then I started noticing that the more and more I used it, my skin looked a bit dull. I would say that this foundation is nice but maybe its best to not use it every single day so u can let ur skin breathe a bit. This happened to me with the MAC pro longwear foundation. If I used it literally every single day, my skin got dull looking and the foundation wasn't looking right on me anymore. I limit my use of it to like 2 to 3 times a week. I alternate with tinted moisturizers and other more dewy foundations.

Do you feel like that too? Ur skin dulling out because of daily use of a certain foundation? Who knows? Maybe its just me hehehe.

Thanks for the review! You inspired me to take out my bottle of mufe HD and rediscover it. LOL!

Ella Pretty Blog said... Best Blogger Tips

I've been loving all the foundation reviews, since I still haven't found the perfect one for me yet.

Do you think this foundation would be good for acne prone skin? Is it oil-free?

I'm currently using Vichy Dermablend - it's SOOOO heavy but very effective. I have to see if I can find it at Shoppers DM - I heard they used to sell it at London Drugs.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

i have normal to oily skin, and i prefer the mat velvet. it just does a job as far as oil control goes. but HD is still a good foundation nonetheless =]

m0chiii said... Best Blogger Tips

great review

i've been looking for a foundation that photographs well.. most of my foundations have spf which is probably why i get that white cast..

Annie said... Best Blogger Tips

I love my mufe hd foundation. I usually use my fingers to apply to my face (after my moisturizer) because I find that my elf powder brush absrobs a lot of the makeup. I save it for 'special occasions', i.e. weddings or ceremonies :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Excellent review! I unfortunately have acne prone skin and usually don't have a completely clear face :( would you say this product would still be ok for someone with my skin type to use?

If you want tweet me! @TOBeautyReviews

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

It's definitely an investment but if that little pump covers your whole face, you'd have this a looonnnnggg time & really makes it more affordable!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

I wasn't crazy about this one because I like a more dewy finish, but when I worked at Sephora it was a huge seller. The big colour range made it so easy to colour match. And you are right. less is more with this one! Nice review!

AmyRoto said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never tried it! Looks like that color is a perfect match.

I just bought Estee Lauder Double Wear for the first time, so I'm trying that out now!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@tracy - I notice Sephora pushes their foundations pretty well, every time I am in there and can't find my right colour match they suggest MUFE to me, and I have to tell them I've already tried it, which leaves them with a puzzled face lol. I agree with you totally though, and the entire basis behind this review, it's a great foundation but I would prefer the finish to be different.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Alina - Ya my skin didn't love this stuff, I wish it had a different finish and it would look better, or if my skin had more moisture/oil to it, it would sit easier on my skin.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I recently purchased Makeup for Ever at Sephora thinking an expensive makeup works better then a makeup from a drug store. Had been using Revlon PhotoReady from a drug store. I can honestly say that Revlon PhotoReady works way better...I am not happy with Makeup For Ever.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous - I found how you apply this one makes a huge difference, when I use it with a beauty blender sponge it works 100x better.

Princezz Julie said... Best Blogger Tips

I just bought this product. But the sales rep i 1st met not good, she didn't recommend a correct shade for me, which make my skin looks darker. End up i need to buy other product to compliment with it, ie. MUFE HD primer in purple to brighten up my skin before apply the wrong shade foundation which i don't want to waste it. Besides the wrong shade, i like the texture & coverage for this foundation. Is light weight, and so sheer that i can see my nose bridge clearly. Although high coverage, but it still makes my skin looks translucent. Overall, i like it!