Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: Laura Mercier Moisturizing Foundation

I am always on the hunt for foundations that will work for my dry skin. I came across Laura Mercier's Moisturizing foundation recently. The word "moisturizing" in the name had me sold, a moisturizing foundation? Yes, please! This foundation is formulated for drier and mature skin, hydrates the skin with added moisture and has Vitamins A, C and E that act as antioxidants to protect the skin from harmful effects in the environment. This retails for about $42US at Sephora or the Laura Mercier website, I bought it for $30 on Allcosmeticswhole.com. Laura Mercier's products are quite pricey so I am easing into them slowly.


With this foundation, I bought the shade "Blush Ivory" the only shade that Allcosmeticswhole.com had, and hoped that it would work, judging by swatches online, it looked like it would. I was afraid this might be too pink toned, judging by the swatches on Laura's site. Porcelain Ivory is the lightest shade, then Blush Ivory and then Warm Ivory (which is more yellow). Laura Mercier's foundation tend to be on the more yellow side (a trend I am noticing with lots of foundation lately). If I had to buy this foundation again, I would probably try out samples of all three at Sephora to really judge for myself which is best, but this one works for now. I do think that Porcelain Ivory would of been a better match for me. I previously reviewed the Silk Creme foundation and did not like that one, mostly because of the poor colour selection. I totally approve of the packaging on this, it comes in a heavy glass bottle with  a nice pump and nice lid that keeps it all together, which stays securely on.

I would say if you have dry skin, this is a foundation to definitely try out, it feels like a thick moisturizer with colour pigmentation to it. It works very well on my skin, it feels comfortable and hydrating all day long. By hydrating I mean it doesn't irritate my skin, or emphasis any dry patches and stays feeling moist. However, I would of course always moisturize well and use a primer if you can before putting on any foundation. Currently I am using two moisturizers and a primer under my foundation, seems like a lot but my dry skin needs it this time of year. Anyway, if you zoom in on the image above you will notice a ring of liquid/oil around the foundation, if you don't shake it up well I find it does this. There is also an oil-free version of this foundation.

Here is a pea sized dot blended in slightly, you only need a small amount to cover your whole face. I always end up using too much (that is a problem I have with foundation). As you cal tell the pigment isn't consistent all the way through, there are lighter parts to it, so you need to blend this in well. This colour is a tad too dark for me I think and it's more grey than a "blush" tone I think (I am NC15 in MAC). Also, I don't normally have to do this with any foundation, but with this one, I absolutely have to set it with a powder or else I feel it moving around throughout the day, and to get rid of the wet look that it can have.

The coverage on Laura Mercier's Moisturizing foundation is medium-full. What I like most about it is how it feels on my skin, if you like foundation that feels hydrating this may be for you. I've been applying it with the Sigma F84 brush, one that is meant for blush or contouring, but I think it works very well with foundation because it gets around your nose and eyes well. It's recommended to use a damp sponge if you want a lighter coverage. It doesn't settle into fine lines and it stays put all day.

"Blush Ivory" is pretty neutral I think, but on my skin it can have that grey cast to it and a weird ring around it, so blending is key. Compared to some other foundations here, it is definitely darker. But you can also tell how rich and thick it is (and notice how light Maybelline's Fit me looks here, by light I mean sheer).

For me, it works very well, minus the colour match, which is a bit off. I think it's a wonderful foundation for those with dry skin. Of course, do not rely on foundation to moisturize your skin, that's what your skincare is for.

Have you tried Laura Mercier's Moisturizing foundation?

9 comments:

Jessie Lynn said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't tried this, but I want to sometime. I wanted to say THANK YOU for your foundation comparison swatches. These are so super helpful!

xxoo Stay fabulous!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jessie Lynn - if you ever want me to swatch certain foundations, just let me know! I have a lot :)

Melly said... Best Blogger Tips

I would probably have tried this based on your review if there wasn't for my latest BB cream craze (90% of the ones felt moisturizing, didn't cling to dry patches).

I'll add this to wishlist, so I'll be able to get back to it in case I ever get over BB cream craze, lol.

Great review, as usual :)

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE this foundation! I have found that only dept store brands make foundations really formulated for dry skin. This is up there with my favorites.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Justine! Thanks for the review on this one! I am going to have to check it out! :)

KayKay said... Best Blogger Tips

so thanks to two previous reviews on clinique even better and mac prep amd prime, it led me to buy them being that we both have dry skin and i love them both =) love your blog. might have to make this my next purchase

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I've noticed the same thing with foundations, they're all very yellow toned!! I wanted to try Nars Sheer Glow and they tried a couple shades and told me I didn't watch any because they were too yellow toned. People always claim NARS has a great color range, but I just don't see it!

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Laura Mercier. This is the one I recommended to my sister and I ended up going back to my old staple which is the Oil Free Foundation (third purchase). Basically I consider LM face products to be superior to most other brands out there, so glad see another positive review.

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

This is one of my favourite foundations ever! I love it! I agree with Liz-I think LM foundations are some of the best out there.