Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: MAC Viva Glam Gaga 2

MAC recently came out with a new Viva Glam Gaga lipstick, this one is an amplified creme and very different than the last baby pink one. I bought this lipstick completely blindly, I did not swatch it in the store, but based on the swatches and descriptions that I saw online, I thought it would be a shade that I would enjoy. Plus, 100% of sales of VIVA Glam products go towards the MAC Aids fund so either way, it goes to a good cause.



VIVA Glam Gaga 2 is described as "a light, warm beige" and since it's amplified creme, that means the pigmentation is very good, this will show up nice and opaque on your lips, amplified creme is one of my favourite lipstick finishes from MAC. Just make sure you moisturize well, I find I get the ring around my lips with this finish, you'll see that below. I didn't get the lipgloss because it looked even darker and I don't know if I could pull it up, plus more of a lipstick kinda girl anyway.

Upon taking it home, I realized that I had a lipstick very similar to this one, NYX's Circe round lipstick. This lipstick is very opaque too and very, very similar in fact. So if you can't get Viva Glam 2 for some reason, check your collection to see if you have this one instead, it's a popular round lipstick colour. Also, you can pick it up on Cherry Culture or Beauty Joint for very cheap. 

As you can tell in the swatch above, MAC's Viva Glam 2 is more beige and NYX's Circle is more orangey, but only slightly. The finish is the same, and they are both just as opaque.


The top picture is MAC's Viva Glam 2 and the bottom is NYX Circe. In pictures they look quite similar right? In person they do too. I would describe MAC's Viva Glam 2 as a dark nude, however it makes me look sickly in real life. It's supposed to be darker than Myth, which I don't own, but perhaps Myth is more concealer lips and this is a darker sick concealer lips? I't's more peach than Creme D'Nude which I love, I like the tone of that one much more. I definitely don't think this shade is for everyone. And if Circe did not work for you, this shade definitely will not worth either. 

Did you pick up MAC's Viva Glam 2? Did you like it?

17 comments:

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

Nope, did not work for me either!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

No, I haven't picked this one up. I might have a hard time pulling off this nude color.

25FLNDN said... Best Blogger Tips

I have Circe, & that definitely doesn't work on me. Well, only if I blot it on lightly to tone my lip colour down a tad. This will be a miss for me!

Irene Blushing Loves said... Best Blogger Tips

it looks too beige!And consealer lipsdont suit me at all!Thanks for the review and swatches doll!!!

xxx

Annie said... Best Blogger Tips

I was putting on Circe the other day and thought it looked like Gaga 2! But I find it doesn't cover my pigmented lips, so I have to pat on some concealer first.

Thanks for the great post :)

Robyn said... Best Blogger Tips

I know the first VGG didn't suit everyone, but I would have thought that seeing as it's for Viva Glam they would have made the shade slightly more universally appealing! Thanks for the swatches and the dupe alert!

m0chiii said... Best Blogger Tips

i haven't tried this yet. i love nudes.. but they can make me look like a corpse. i want this, but have to try it in person first to see how much i like it =) thanks for the swatches! it looks very simliar to that NYX one !

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

Darker sick concealer look..haha. Nope I don't think this is for me either :)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Tracy D - yep hahah...;P

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

it did not work on me either, I sometimes pair it with a bright gloss but I still don't reach for it often.

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said... Best Blogger Tips

WDF!
there so similar!!

Miss Jayce said... Best Blogger Tips

thnks for the post! im glad i didnt pick this up. circe is just soo similar and i have circe which actually didnt work on me. thanks justine!! =D

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for the comparison! I am glad I didn't get gaga II since I already have circe. I never thought they would be so close in color.

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

I almost got the lipgloss but after seeing a few post similar to yours (ie not the right nude for paler gals) I passed.

MUA Lindsay said... Best Blogger Tips

I have ZERO intentions of picking this up. Too warm for me, as I tend to go with more cool lip tones. I really should pick up Creme D'Nude, though. I heard of a great gloss to go with, but I can't remember which one it was!

Miss ♥ Nikka said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! It does look like the NYX Circe. I dont have neither one, the only nude I like is Revlon's soft nude. I might have to try this one on at the Mac store before I purchase it because I don't like nude dead looking lips. XD

Natalie said... Best Blogger Tips

These type of colors are sooo right up my alley. I love these opaque colors..similar to creme d'shene.. I almost purchased it but bought Marquies'd instead. Love the color & what I love about these is you can add any color, a dab of red or whatever & really change the color appearance..it works!

http://thejazzyspot.blogspot.com
Natalie