Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: NARS Gina, My First NARS Blush

I got my first NARS blush ever, and it's Gina! The only other NARS product that I have at the moment is NARS Sheer Glow foundation (which I love). I find their products are quite expensive, so I limit myself to what I can get. I have heard raves about their blushes for years and finally got one. I looked for this at Sephora, but they don't carry out, I am not sure if it's discontinued or what, they also don't have Taj Mahal which I also lust over. I bought this from KissandMakeupNY.com which is a beauty etailer, they ship for FREE to Canada and the US and take Paypal, which is fantastic, and they carry lots of NARS, Laura Mercier, Smashbox and other brands. I am in no way affiliated with them, it was my first time shopping with them and I got my package in like a week, which was great. I will definitely buy more NARS stuff off them. This blush was $26US.

Gina comes in their standard black packaging, it's very sleek and soft plastic, I have heard that this attracts dust and fingerprints very easily, and that's definitely the truth, you can see dust already on mine and it's brand new. It comes with 4.8g or 0.16oz of product, compared to a MAC blush which has 6g or 0.21oz of product, so you get less product here.

There's no lies about their brushes, they are super pigmented, that's one swipe there. Gina is a light, cool matte peach colour, a true peach (no pink or red or orange undertones here). I heard that NARS blushes can be easy to overdo when you apply them, but I found with this one the colour when applied gives a lit from within type of quality, really pretty. You definitely don't have to keep going back and forth for more product to get this to show up. I think it would look super perfect for the summer, if you have a tan. I am pretty fair, so this shows up really easily on me.


And some comparisons pictures here of blushes that are similar to Gina (Gina is the first in both pictures). My Highland Honey is much lighter and dim, Cinnamon/Style is too orange. I would say the closest is probably Peaches by MAC. The lighting isn't great here, but looking at the swatches in person, Gina is touch more orangey than Peaches, but they are very slow. Canteloupe looks close, but in person it's much more pink than Gina. Of course a true blush-obsessed fanatic would justify to death that it's different, they probably all look the same to you guys!

I know that Orgasm and Deep Throat are really popular, but the pinky/peach trend doesn't really appeal to me, nor do the ugly names. I do want to get Luster, although I have heard that it's very similar to MAC's Margin which I own. Taj Mahal is a bright orange and very similar apparently to NYX Cinnamon which I also picked up recently, if I can find a dupe for these, I definitely will get it considering the price of a NARS blush, but Gina had to be mine, it's now the coveted blush in my collection.

Do you own Gina? What is your favourite NARS blush?

21 comments:

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the tip on the website, I'll be checking that out. I have Orgasm & it's 'nice', I don't reach for it all that often though for some reason. The other one I've been eyeing is Madly. Congrats on the 1st Nars blush!

nicoletta said... Best Blogger Tips

I dont own any nars blushers yet but im hoping to get sin very soon and orgasm in a swap :) I cant wait to try them out. This looks really pretty too xx

kali said... Best Blogger Tips

Luster is BEAUTIFUL. I need to get it but I keep forgetting.

P.S. You have TONS of peachy blushes. =P LOL And I thought I had a lot of blushes.

Kar Yi said... Best Blogger Tips

Super pretty blush :D I've been lemming for some Nars myself but the hefty price tag is discouraging me :( They keep raising their raises slowly over the years as well... The blushes now go for $27 on Sephora's website :( I'll succumb to the temptation eventually haha. I have my eyes on Deep Throat because I really love peachy pink blushes :)

tasha~ said... Best Blogger Tips

I could kiss you for that link! I am always looking for good websites with free shipping to Canada. Thank you sooo much!

MEOW said... Best Blogger Tips

ahh peachy blushes are so pretty :)
i only own the deep throat blush from nars.. and i love it :)

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I just received it also from that website, thanks for it. I will be definately buying from there again. I do really love Nars blushes it is also my new obsession.

Shivani said... Best Blogger Tips

I own 4 NARS blushes and my favorite is NARS Torrid and NARS Lovejoy. Orgasm is strictly nice to have. Another one I have is Taos, is too pigmented for me to use everyday.

Val said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks so beautiful - I'm sure Nars blushes will now become an obsession for you, as they are for me!

Val

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@tasha - no problem, I was in love when I found it too. They run out of products now and then but they restock pretty quickly. :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Today I made the comparison with both NARS & MAC blushes. I can't believe NARS is more expensive for a lesser amount. Ugh! Although, I do love NARS blushes because most of them are super pigmented.

I want Gina now, thanks for sharing. My favourite NARS blush is Exhibit A - it's a brilliant red. :)

m0chiii said... Best Blogger Tips

it was between Gina or Gilda for me.. and i ended up getting Gilda but now I want GINA !!!!! i love your peach blush collection !!!! i definitely need to expand my collection after seeing yours !!!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@StealMyHeartLove - NARS is more prestigious brand so it makes sense. I don't find MAC to be that expensive, they are considered high-end but, their products end up being less expensive than any other high-end brand.

@swiwing - Gilda is more pink, Gina is more peach, which what I wanted.

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats! Gina looks very pretty. I think you'll really like Luster. Thanks for the info on this site - I think I'll order from them the next time something catches my eye!

rakhshanda said... Best Blogger Tips

wow..i love peachy blushes..this one is so pretty. I have not any NARS blush but hope i'll get one soon. thanks

abigail said... Best Blogger Tips

hi justine: i saw this blush at the nars counter in the bay last week, went again today to excange something and it's still there...
lovely colour. love peach blushes =)

Gaby Fauchon said... Best Blogger Tips

Gorgeous! I have never tried anything from NARS

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

This is one NARS blush that I don't have! It's pretty! Great choice! Mata Hari and Torrid are great.

Marilou said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW 26 $ for a blush?! That's pricey... But I love Nars! I also have Sheer Glow, one of my favourite foundation!
You picked up such a nice colour. I recommand you highly their bronzers :)
You have loads of peaches blush, they all look fantastic!
I die over trying NYX products one of these day. Great review xoxo

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

How lovely! What brush do you use with this coveted (definitely coveted by me!) blush? Or does it come with its own?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous - It doesn't come with a brush. I use a variety of brushes to apply it, I like the ecotools blush brush or the sigma f40 (angled brush).