Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Review: MAC Something Special Cremeblend Blush

MAC's new Cremeblend Blushes have launched on the MAC website and are available in-stores tomorrow, Thursday. I jumped on the chance to get these early because I missed out on the Lillyland collection and have never tried any creme blushes from MAC until now. A few of the colours appealed to me, but I decided to only get "Something Special" for now, I love peach blushes and some of the others looked really dark and scary to me. "So Sweet, So Easy" the bright pink one looks nice too, I am going to check that one out at the counter first. It will be interesting to see how Posey and Ladyblush compare because everyone loves those ones the most.

These are a reformulation of the original MAC Blushcremes, which were really popular, this formulation is supposed to smoother and less sticky. I can't comment on the changes because I don't own any MAC blushcremes, that's a lie, I did order Lilicent a few days ago too and that one is a old formulation and I will review that once it comes.

Something Special is the lightest peach shade from the Cremeblends and is described as "a light coral". I think it's more of a very bright peach, coral to me is more red and this isn't red at all. These retail for $23.50CAD on the MAC website. They're also sold in pan for, if you'd prefer that. Check out Temptalia's review and swatches of these as well, they are awesome, Part 1 and Part 2.

Here is a swatch of it, in the pan it looks darker than what it swatches as, and when you blend it in, it's even lighter, so no need to be alarmed about the intensity of what these may appear at first. I love this colour, it's just what I was hoping for, very pigmented too. I think it would look flattering on anyone, since it is a forgiving colour, subtle, but can be built up for more intensity.

And some comparison swatches the two right ones are MAC's Something Special swatched and then blended on the right. And the two first left ones are NYX's Rose Petal (close but more pink) and NYX Tea Rose (much darker and more brown). I totally recommend NYX Rouge Cream blushes if you are on a budget (currently $6 on Cherry Culture), they are just as good (more creamy).

And here are comparisons in the pan of Something Special (top left), My Highland Honey, it's a powder, but I just wanted to show it to show the color difference, and the two NYX blushes as well.

Are you picking up any of the new MAC Cremeblend blushes?

18 comments:

MEOW said... Best Blogger Tips

thats a very pretty shade~
it looks a bit scary before blended out.. but sooo pretty after blended~ i like :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

This looks gorgeous!!! Yes! Absolutely, I am totally going to pick up one of these this weekend!!! Great review!

Tiffany said... Best Blogger Tips

This color looks like it'd be so pretty on you! I have a blushcreme and a cremeblend (from the lillyland collection) and I personally prefer the blushcreme formula. I'll have to take a look at these in-store, though!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Tiffany - Why do you prefer the blushcreme? I have no idea how they are different.. have you tried the NYX cream blushes? how would you say they compare?

Tiffany said... Best Blogger Tips

No, I've never tried the NYX cream blushes so I'm not sure how they compare. Since the blushcremes are thicker and slightly sticky, they last longer on my oily skin than the cremeblends, and I also think that they blend easier than the cremeblends too. But then again, I only have one of each so maybe they're not all like that.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Tiffany - I could of sworn I saw NYX cream blushes on your site before. I have dry skin so the lasting power wouldn't be an issue for me I don't think, unless my skin just absorbs it all. Thanks for the comments, appreciate it. :)

Jenni said... Best Blogger Tips

gorgeous shade! too bad MAC has increased their prices a bit :( i shall look at NYX then!

Tracy@Beauty Reflections said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice! I'm going to check these out in person tomorrow. I have Posey in the original formula. I'm interested in getting Ladyblush or Brit Wit.

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

That colour looks great! I have been waiting for these, I love creme blush, and recently hit pan on my current fave. I still don't know which one I want though.

Stephanie C. said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this! I'm finally coming around the peach blushes, and your blog has been a great source. :)

Miss ♥ Nikka said... Best Blogger Tips

I will definitely have to check this out, it's such a pretty peach shade. I dont have any cream blushes except my stila peony one. I think I'd like this one. :)

MUA Lindsay said... Best Blogger Tips

What a pretty color! I have the Lilly Land ones, but have rarely used them. I always felt they were "hard"... perhaps I wasn't using the right brush.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@MUA Lindsay - I don't have any experience with the Lillyland ones, but these are very smooth (NYX are smooth as well). What brush are you using? You can use your fingers or a MAC 188 or something like that should be fine.

MUA Lindsay said... Best Blogger Tips

I've only tried the 131... I have the 192, maybe I should try that.

Ling's Beauty Blog said... Best Blogger Tips

The colour is really pretty...but dont think I'll be getting a MAC creme blush cos I'm saving up for a lippie. Don't ask me why cos I dont even wear lipstick everyday but I just want one haha...a Chanel one...

DoodleDollyx said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow 'Something special' looks soooo pretty! such a perfect colour! I dont think img going to check this out in store, i just love how the colours are when tou swatched them! Im definately going to buy so sweet and easy too!!! wah!

Ebru said... Best Blogger Tips

Something Special is right up my alley! I must pick it up :) Thanks for your beautiful swatches and comparisons! :)

herroyalbleakness said... Best Blogger Tips

will be waiting for more reviews on this before purchasing :)