Monday, December 6, 2010

Essie Fall 2010 Collection Swatches and Review

I know we are into winter now, but I have the Essie Fall 2010 collection today to swatch and review, hope you don't mind. I purchased the Winter 2010 collection first, and then this one. You can read my review of the Essie Winter 2010 set here. This fall set definitely feels fall-like to me, the colours remind me of falling leaves: red, green, brown and a taupe mixed in, they had to add in that taupe it was the hottest colour for a while now and people still love the purple greys. The opacity of these is amazing, I found 2/4 of them (Limited Addiction and Little Brown Dress) went on with one coat coat only that's how pigmented they are.

This collection came with 4 very fall like colours, Merino Cool a purple taupe, Limited Addiction garnet red, Little Brown Dress chocolate brown and Sew Psyched a very unique green colour. I was most excited about Sew Psyched and it was my main reason to get this set. Surprisingly the red turned out to be the standout for me. I am going to try a different layout with the swatches this time around, let me know what you girls think, if you prefer the flat hand or the holding the bottle swatch, I kinda like the flat hand better since I have this awesome marble kitchen island and it makes for a nice background.

"Sew Psyched" is like an army green with grey undertones and tiny white shimmers in it. There is something morbid and somber about this shade, it's really cool. This one applies great, one coat could do it. And I know I tend to say this a lot but this time it's totally true, I have NOTHING like this shade in my collection, it is very unique. I recommend getting a full size bottle of this one if you like the colour.

"Little Brown Dress" which is such a cute name, is a dark chocolate brown creme finish polish. This one applies well too, only one coat was quite opaque. I don't know how often I would wear this since it is dark and not really my style, but it is pretty.

"Limited Addiction" is described a garnet red. This is a bright, dark red. I love this colour, I am inclined to say that it's my favourite red ever, it has great pigmentation and applies in one coat. I have a really hard time photographing red polishes, if I use flash they come out too bright and light, so no flash with this one, in natural light, hopefully you get the idea of this polish. It's my favourite from this cube.

"Merino Cool" is a purpley taupe shade, I have 4-5 colours that look just like this one. It's that popular purple grey shade that every nail polish brand is doing nowadays. I think if you have OPI by Sephora Metro Chic (comparison below), China Glaze Channelesque, and several others you can pass on this one, cause they are so similar. This one took two coats, unlike the rest of the collection.

OPI by Sephora Metro Chic (left) and Essie Merino Cool (right)

Here is my comparison of the two shades, as you can tell Metro Chic (on left) is a tad more mauve whereas Merino Cool is more purpley grey. In person,you would not notice the difference though.

What did you think of this collection? What colours did you pick up?

13 comments:

m0chiii said... Best Blogger Tips

merino cool is such a pretty color !!

Kaitlyn said... Best Blogger Tips

those do look very nice for fall! i have one essie polish and i didn't particularly like the application of it so i never tried another one. i might have to now, though.. haha

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Kaitlyn - I don't know what happened to essie over the past year or so, their nail polishes have improved 100%.

Nikosmommy said... Best Blogger Tips

I wear Merino wool and Sew psyched alll the time. Love this set!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Justine!

I use google affiliate. I just made the banner though, using picnik and google images! lol

Junerose said... Best Blogger Tips

Merino Cool is gorgeous! I like how you painted one nail with both diff. brands of polish to compare.
Have you checked out the Tracy Reese Fall collection from Sally Hansen, yet? I loooooove Fedora and Touch of Mink.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Junerose - say what?! I didn't know there was a tracy reese new collection, the last time there was a tracy reese one I had the hardest time finding any.

Oreleona said... Best Blogger Tips

ooh i loove the sew psyched and merino cool sooo much!!!

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for the post! I was just going to pick up sew phyched but now that I see all the colours they are just so beautiful! To the comment above, I bought bittersweet and wet clay and I love them! I have seen them at Shoppers and Rexall so far, just a little display of them but very neutral beautiful colours.

Bailey said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Sew Psyched! I think it's one I'll be on the look out for now.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love love love Limited Addiction! It looks gorgeous on you! :)
I definitely want some! Thank you so much for sharing Honey-Bee!

EEEEEP! Today is closing date of your Sigma brush set Giveaway! I actually can't contain myself. I even told my Dad about it, who really doesn't care that much about make-up, Sigma, or brush sets, but regardless...I just had to tell everyone!

xxx

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice review! Love the Marino Cool color. Essie makes such pretty polishes! :)

o said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the colours! Specially the green one