Tuesday, December 21, 2010

American Apparel: African Violet, Coney Island and Berry

I love American Apparel nail polishes, most are opaque in one coat (I know one coat!), they are all creme finishes and they come in cute square bottles. They have recently added some new colours to their collection, I checked my local AA store for them last night and they only had one new colour in stock (African Violet), they hadn't received any others yet. I will show that one to you today as well as some old colours. They sell for $7.50CAD, or 3 for $18, so of course I bought 3.

African Violet is a new colour and it's gorgeous. It's like a medium purple, reminds me of Mcdonald's Grimace. It's a purple, but a unique one with plum undertones.This one took only one coat. I find AA polishes to be quite thick, so they apply quickly with minimal streaking and lots of colour. I put a bit too much on my pointer finger as you can tell by the giant blob. I would put this one up there with some of my favourite AA polishes.

I thought it looked like China Glaze's Grape Pop, but it totally doesn't, Grape Pop has a lot more blue in it, as you can tell from the image above, Grape Pop on left, African Violet on right.

Coney Island is a pale pink, wearing this colour definitely makes your hands look more tan, even my pale-ass hands looked deeper with this one. Application was... so so, I find easter pastel shades like this usually have poor application. I used two coats with this and then went over the bald spots once more. I love this colour, but it is going to my cousin for Christmas.

Berry is a deep and rich cool-toned red, it is more plumy looking in real life. This is a nice, safe colour, good for Christmas dinners perhaps (as it reminds me of holly). My bottle was thicker than usual and I had a hard time applying this, which was a shame cause I love the colour so much. I would say this colour is easily dupeable.

What do you think of American Apparel nail polishes?

5 comments:

BeautyAmbition.net said... Best Blogger Tips

i love AA polishes too! I think i've only swatched one for my blog and i got so many compliments, but I havent purchased any more, im into purples, so you can guess which one im getting next =)

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Beautyambition - I love purples too!

luckiebeauty said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't try the AA nail polish yet!!
But the purple one looks so great.

xx

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

I actually haven't tried any of these but I love Berry..beautiful holiday color.

Jennifer from Toronto - Spiced Beauty said... Best Blogger Tips

AA nail polishes always look so pigment!