Friday, January 7, 2011

MAC Cham Pale Haul

MAC's Cham Pale came out a few weeks ago. I was only really into the paint pots in this collection, MAC rarely comes out with new ones and they looked really pretty in swatches so I picked some up. I've been "into" MAC for about 4 years or so and can you believe I never bought a paint pot? I had some samples, but never went out and bought one. I think the ones in this collection are perhaps not the best to get started with, since they are more glitter than cream, but they are pretty for sure, and with them being limited edition, we just gotta have them right? :)

I picked up 2/4 of the paint pots offered in Cham Pale. On the left is Chilled On Ice (frosted white gold) and on the right Vintage Selection (frosted dirty peach). They retail for $20 CAD each. Paint pots are most often used as eyeshadow bases since they tend to brighten/deepen shadows, but they can also be worn on their own for a subtle look.


From the swatch there you can tell these are... gritty? I have read mixed reviews about these, if you like glitter you will like these since they are packed full of the stuff. They aren't as smooth as regular paint pots. However I am no paint pot expert, so I cannot say for sure. I think as bases they are just fine.

While I was there, I also picked up Painterly paint pot, which is described as a nude beige and a cream finish, so it's got no glitter whatsoever, just flat colour. This one is a staple of many, and I thought it would be a good simple paint pot to have around for everyday use. I prefer this over the two Cham Pale paint pots by far.

And here swatches of the two Cham Pale ones (two in center) and Painterly (far right). I also included Bare Study paint pot (on far left) as a comparison to Chilled On Ice. I read that the two were similar, but Bare Study is much more opaque and a solid gold beige tone while Chilled On Ice is less opaque, chunky and more yellow. I would suggest getting Bare Study over Chilled On Ice. I only have a sample of Bare Study from ages ago and it dried out, you gotta keep those paint pots tightly closed or else you are in trouble!

edit: I ended up returning both paint pots, they weren't for me.

Did you get anything from Cham Pale? Which paint pots do you like best from MAC?

11 comments:

luckiebeauty said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't get nothing from this collection yet! I think i'm going to wait for the Jeanius collection.

My fav paint pot is Rubanesque!

But I love the one that you've picked, Vintage Selection looks fabulous!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@luckiebeauty - Rubanesque is supposed to be like "let me pop" from this collection. I think I will stick to that one though, these are too glittery! :(

JL said... Best Blogger Tips

I have two...Groundwork and Rubenesque...and I love them both. Need to get my hands on painterly too

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

i agree, vintage selection looks good! do you think it would be a good base under a light brown eyeshadow ?

i have painterly paintpot too, but i haven't used it yet ! thanks for the swatch :D im waiting to finish my UD primer and use painterly as a base instead...im not sure if that's even a good idea... what do you think ? lol!

nicoletta said... Best Blogger Tips

I only have 1 paintpot in blackthorns. I could do with a few more really. I have ordered 1 of the special powders from this collection but that is it x

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@allstyled up - Definitely painterly would work, that's what I bought it for, I like the ease of having it in a pot, I bought the pro size UDPP and it's a pain getting that stuff out. I think Vintage Selection would be great under a brown shadow, maybe will make it more sparkly too.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

I picked up "I get no kick" eye kohl but returned it because it didn't really show up on my skin tone, I can get a nicer look using eyeshadow for the inner corner of my eye. I also picked up the eyeshadow quad and its alright, I didn't own any of the colours and they are light and neutral which is what I tend to grab for the most. Did you get anything from the peacocky collection?

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lisa - Quad is pretty, I have retrospeck in pan form and really like it. There was a giant crowd around the peacock so I didn't bother :) But the lipgloss thingies look nice.

Tracy D said... Best Blogger Tips

I have painterly and love it. I was eyeing these at the counter & the MAC girl told me that they were quite translucent as compared to other paint pots...so if you don't like don't get discouraged before trying a few others b/c they aren't typical. I want Groundwork next!

Melly said... Best Blogger Tips

I have cream eyeshadow duo from ELF, and though I'm sure the colors aren't dupes, they are close enoughs. I don't know what is the shade I have though, as the tiny sticker from the package has came off and got lost.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

these remind me of benefit's cream shadows. I love the colours they
re very pretty. not sure if i'll get anything from this collection.