Saturday, October 29, 2011

Review: Maybelline Eraser Dark Circles Concealer

Today review is Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer...that's a long name! I picked this up recently at Shoppers Drug Mart for $13.99 CAD (ouch I know! It was on sale for $8 at one point and I passed on it thinking this was too gimmicky then I caved a few weeks later and really wanted it, what can you do?). This product is a treatment concealer with Gogi Berry + Haloxyl which is supposed to instantly erase dark circles and fine lines and visibly diminish puffiness. I would love to see them "erase fine lines" I don't think that is possible, maybe on a photoshopped Christy Turlington, but not in real life.


Maybelline's Eraser Dark Circles comes in 5 shades: fair, light, medium, a neutralizer and brightener. I picked up light, I would of picked up fair (since I am pale) but I haven't been able to find that colour in stock in drugstores in Canada. Light is a decent match for my skin I think. The packaging is a lot smaller than I expected it to be, it has 0.2 fl oz/6ml (to compare the Garnier Eye Roller has 15ml). To get the product out you have to turn the collar of the applicator in the direction of the arrows until the product appears. When I first used this, it took 10 or so turns before the product became visible, I thought I had broken it. I noticed straight away that this concealer isn't at all creamy, it's actually quite dry (not great for under the eyes) but still thin. It sets very quickly and does not move, that way you can layer it or build it if you want.

The applicator is what I thought I would hate in this product, but it works out it's my favourite part about it! Everyone is talking about how the sponge is not very sanitary, and I had the same concerns. The applicator is "protected with an anti-microbial system" and you are not meant to wash it, instead use a dry tissue. The sponge up close looks pretty disgusting I must admit and the product stays soaked in there. However, it's super soft on your skin, no matter how much you press it on your skin, it never hurts or feels bothersome. I take the sponge, spreading the product under my eyes on clean skin and then tap it in with my fingers.


The Eraser Dark Circles is supposed to replace the Maybelline Age Rewind Double Face Protector (now discontinued) which had two sides a highlight and concealer (now you have to buy two products). As you can tell from the swatch above in my comparison, the Maybelline Eraser looks much drier than the other two, this is straight out of the tube, no blending or anything. I prefer a more hydrating undereye concealer.

I think the coverage of this product is light-medium, if you have extreme dark circles, the packaging suggests to apply the neutralizer shade underneath the concealer shade. If I manage to find this on sale again I might pick up the neutralizer and give that a go in conjunction with this. There is a foundation in this range too, but I think I will pass. The Eraser concealer is an okay product, would work pretty well for those with minor-moderate dark circles, if you have super dark circles this will not do much besides brightening. I do like this product, but my go-to concealer is still Bobbi Brown's corrector and concealer, it feels creamy, moisturizing and cancels much better.

Have you tried Maybelline's Eraser concealer?

11 comments:

MissTwist said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes I have tried it. I still don't trust the "anti-microbial system" as you typed haha I took off the spongey part because I felt like it was wasting product and I wasn't getting the full amount necessary :-/ Now I like it alot better I did get the neutralizer one I haven't tried the pigmented ones yet I do want to though but if I do I will be taking the sponge part off again. I like it much more once I do :-)

Jeweled Thumb said... Best Blogger Tips

Like you, I thought this was too dry for the under eye area.

Julia said... Best Blogger Tips

Justine I have the neutralizer shade. We've established we are skin tone sisters, so I can honestly say it will work for your skin tone, but it's very yellowy. I don't have the concealer to go on top because I also couldn't find pale and thought it was expensive for two. It's ok, but too light for bad circles and sometimes the yellow makes my under eyes look green. I do however like it to neutralize redness on my face. Defeats the purpose, but it does work well!

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips

I actually didn't mind this. Didn't crease so thats what I liked about it most.

xoJenn

imperfection-isbeauty.com

Ella Pretty Blog said... Best Blogger Tips

It's a shame that it's so drying - it looks amazing on your eyes - very brightening and natural. I have the brightener (#160) on my to-buy list as I heard it's meant to be amazing and long-lasting.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I don't like dry concealers for my under eye area and seeing that you mentioned the coverage isn't amazing I'll probably pass on this one. The sponge thing still creeps me out even with the 'anti-microbial system'.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@JuliaGoolia72 - thanks for the tip about the neutralizer!

Isabel said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh.. If only it was more hydrating.. I'm terribly afraid of fine lines deepening on my undereye

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for this.. idk if we even have it released here .. super tempted to go check & try it out if we do :D

Eden-Avalon said... Best Blogger Tips

I think that makeup can start to cause you to see problems sometimes. >> <<

I never used to think I had undereye circles and now I see that I do. I know I can expect huge ones in the future from sleeping so little and I already have deep wrinkles (AT 22!) so i'm compiling an ACTION LIST

Stephanie C. said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I totally fell for the "eraser" part of the title- I was like, "it can erase my circles SIGN ME UP", haha. I agree with you- not bad, but definitely didn't win any awards from me.